Question ASUS Monitor only shows image instantly after turned on

Gincal

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
ASUS VW 221, no HDMI, only VGA Port. I use it as a second monitor, since it was my very old main one.

No problem so far, terrible quality but it does what I need.

Lately (one or two days) I had noticed it was having a kind of flickering, very subtle.

Today, it just went black and it turns out that if I turn it off in the button and turn it on again it shows image for like 1 second and then goes black and if I turn it off and on again it does the same thing.

I have restarted my computer, unplugged its VGA cable and its power cable and no change. My cables are all rigged in the back, so I have literally just unplugged them and plugged back on after cleaning a bit of dust.

Do you guys think this is a cable problem? I mean, it does show perfect image, as a matter of fact, I could interact with it even when it was black, I just couldn't see what was happening, but i managed to bring a window from there to my main one. Also, by using the 1 second of image I get I was able to move more windows.

My point being that it doesn't seem to be a problem with connectivity, right?

Thank you,

Gincal

Gincal

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
This monitor:

https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-vw221d-lcd-monitor-21-6-series/

How old? Lots of heavy use?

Will the monitor fully and correctly work as a single monitor?

Try another known working monitor as your second monitor.

Try the problem monitor as a second monitor on another known working computer.

Determine if the problem(s) follow the monitor or stay with the host computer.

I'm not sure it's that exact model, but the image is the same as mine. I'm going to try what you suggested. It is very old and it has been used a lot, it was my main when I had my old computer and has been my second one once I got my new computer, so it has been used a lot, yeah.