Question ASUS motherboard 8 DIMM slots 4 RAM sticks works, but not on recommended slots

Garou

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
Hi!

My parts

ASUS GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix Gaming (has 8 DIMM slots)
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD
Intel Core i7-7740X Prosessor
ASUS ROG Strix X299-XE Gaming, S-2066
HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3200MHz 32GB (new)
Corsair RM1000x 1000W PSU (new)
Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU cooler
Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5'' HDD

Manuals recommended slots:

um0CSAB.png

Today I bought myself some new parts, as I am slowly building myself a new computer. A new PSU of 1000w and four ram sticks of 8 GB each. I first installed the new PSU and tested the computer if it still worked, and it did. I then dragged my computer torwards a table where I wanted to insert the new RAM sticks. Unfortunatly I forgot to remove the displayport and so the displayport bendt severely, and I got scared the the motherboard was affected by it. I then placed the new RAM sticks in at the recommended slots, but the computer wouldnt boot. I then reinserted the old ones and it booted fine. To test my new ramsticks further I tried to boot with one of the new RAM sticks, and it booted fine. Then two, and it worked fine. I then inserted the last two sticks(total 4 sticks in now) and it booted. What was diffrent from the first time I dont know, maybe I didnt insert them good enough? When checking BIOS only two of the sticks is recognized, and looking at the LED on the ramsticks only two of them are lighting up. I did some searching on google and I did some digging into my BIOS settings myself but found nothing that I would want to change.

As nothing was working I decided to try to put all the ramsticks on the right side and when I did, it worked splendidly. BIOS recognized 32 GB of RAM. But now my question remains, why wouldnt the recommended memory configuration work? Is there anyway of finding out what exactly is wrong?

Jan 1, 2021
Tagging this because I'm dealing with the same issue. I even have more screen tearing with them I. Wrong slot. I was gonna just start a new thread on this

TRENDING THREADS