Sep 19, 2013
Hello,
I've had my PC for around 5 months now, the specs are as follows:
Motherboard - ASUS P8B75-V
CPU - Intel i5 3450
GPU - ASUS HD 7770 1GB (No DirectCU)
RAM - 1x4GB DDR3
OS - Windows 7 Professional

Upon normal usage today (web browsing) my PC went off abruptly and refuses to turn back on. I can't even get the POST screen. On closer inspection I found that the DRAM LED light on the Motherboard was a Solid Red whenever I was trying to boot up.
I have had problems like the PC freezing up for no reason at all, more worryingly, I've had 2-3 BSoD's. But these were all isolated incidents which were quite infrequent as well and the PC always went back to working properly after a reboot.
What could be the reason for the DRAM LED turning red after so long? Could the above problems have been caused by a faulty RAM or Motherboard?(or has something broken just now?)
Note : I got the PC to boot up once after trying for sometime, and after 5-10 mins of usage it promptly froze up and hasn't booted up since.

Solution
I'd probably at least try it, but all that does is fiddle with timing and frequency settings to get sticks that might otherwise have a problem to work. You can try it, but it's not likely to resolve your problem since it was working before.

rohanjt96

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013

I have the MemOK! functionality on my motherboard. Would using it tell me if that is the problem?

Jaxem

Honorable
I'd probably at least try it, but all that does is fiddle with timing and frequency settings to get sticks that might otherwise have a problem to work. You can try it, but it's not likely to resolve your problem since it was working before.

Solution

rohanjt96

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
Hello again,
After leaving the PC alone for a day, everything seems to be back to normal.
I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics test and it reported no errors.
Could the problem still be the RAM? Or maybe something power related?
By the way, I have an Antec 450 watt PSU.(AMD recommends a 500 watt PSU)
Thanks in advance,

DjGabriro

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Hello!
I write here what worked for me. I had looked for DAYS for a solution to this. My problem had been that my pc (6 months old, personally assembled after loooong compatibility checks) would boot up and shut down normally for an entire night of use and then, OUT OF NOWHERE, the next day it would not boot whatsoever. The day after it would, the day after that it would not, once again.

Completely at random.

My specs:
ASUS p9x79
Intel i7-3820
4x4Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance (compatible: checked)
ATI 7700
solid state samsung hard drive
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid Cooling System

I found out that the DRAM led was solid red each time the system didn't start. I begun informing myself.

This is what I tried (I enlist only for your amusement: if you want to skip to the solution, just go ahead):
- removed the ram modules one by one and tried ALL the f****g possible combinations (one that worked TWICE, was A1, A2, C1, D1; dunno why!);
removed all the external connected devices;
- unplugged the graphic card;
- cleaned with alcohol the ram
- reverted to the original CPU fan by Intel
- installed an internal speaker: no sounds whatsoever
- re-set the conductive paste
- flash-updated the bios
- plugged all the possible pins that I thought useless (such as power button led and front-case audio jacks)
- re-set the cpu and cooling system four times, checking for bent pins
- tried different wires from the alimentator (600W, btw)
- punched the mobo with kong-fu internal techniques
- RMA's the vendor of the mobo.

Then I casually read a - alleged - stupid comment on another forum that said it was worth to try to loosen a bit the screws that hold the modo to the case, as it may cause some contacts...

Result: I'm writing on a perfect functioning machine once again.

I can't explain what happened.

Hope it will work for you as well!
DjGabriro

rohanjt96

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
After the initial problem I had, I removed the case and pressed the RAM module into it's slot and Hey Presto! the PC booted up normally.
However, my problems with the random BSOD's (STOP code : 0x0000001A) and freezes have not gone away. When the computer freezes, not even the NUM lock toggles.
Is this the RAM acting up again, in which case should I get the RAM stick replaced or could be part of a problem with the motherboard?

@DjGabriro "punched the mobo with kong-fu internal techniques" LOL!!

celbrise

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
tried doing this and still nothing. think my ram sticks are just bad either that or the dimm slots are broken. sucks i can't buy any high end ram sticks in person no PC stores here that sell anything good

Axaem

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
I made an account just so I could thank @DjGabriro. It totally worked for me! I searched everywhere and tried everything. I don't have an ASUS computer though, I build one. Thanks again buddy!

Gswong88

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016

Sorry for the noob questions.. what is a modo , which screw should I loosen.. isit the screw that hold the mother board to the case ?

CowPiez

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017

This worked for me, thanks so much!

snakeater95

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Just had to get on and say thanks for this glorious solution. I had tried everything just short of taking the entire thing apart. definitely worth a try.

DanishGiant

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017
Hey guys, i still have this problem and Its bugging me, i tried loosening the screws in the mobo, i tested the ram and made sure i sat Them in correctly, no bend pins or nothing But this morning it wouldnt boot, so i thought, what the hell Mayer some cleening spild do, But still nothing... just the Dram lights and a Big Fuck you to me.. my pc is a couple of years old,
AMD rathleon X2 CPU
ASUS M4N75TD motherbord
ASUS NVIDEA GTX 660

Idk what to do guys

Loumier

Reputable
Jun 21, 2016

I'm having the same issue and tried what you did, but didn't work. I don't know what to do anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.