ASUS Motherboard giving 2 short beeps and not loading BIOS

Jul 18, 2018
My motherboard failed to boot windows 10. Microsoft help desk suggested that I should update the BIOS. So I updated the BIOS version from 1903 to 2403. At the end of the update, my computer reset and the bios never changed at all. So I tried to update the BIOS again. This time, the BIOS frozen and I had to manually turn the PC off. When I tried to load the PC, I heard 2 beeps then I got a black screen. What can I do?

AMD FX 6300 Six Core
8GB DDR3 Hyper X RAM @ 722MHz
ASUS M5A97 R2.0
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
500GB WD HDD
120GB Sandisk SDSSDP128G

Solution
Actually, your board supports USB Flashback.

Do you have another system you could use, to download the latest BIOS file?

The Flashback port if the USB port next to the rear audio jacks, at the bottom.

BIOS flashback button is on the bottom edge of the motherboard, labelled "BIOS_FLBK"

From the manual.

You can also download the BIOS from ASUS website
Rename the file asM5A97R20.CAP and save it to a USB portable device's root directory.

Insert the USB storage device to the USB Flashback port.

Press the BIOS Flashback button for three seconds until a flashing light appears, which indicates that the BIOS Flashback function is enabled.

Wait until the light goes out, indicating that the BIOS updating process is completed

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Please post your full system spec.

Forcing a shutdown during a BIOS update has the potential to brick everything.

A quick Google search would suggest 2 short beeps to be a successful BIOS recovery, but that may differ, depending on the specific motherboard:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1029959/

Have you cleared the CMOS?

Jul 18, 2018

AMD FX 6300 Six Core
8GB DDR3 Hyper X RAM @ 722MHz
ASUS M5A97 R2.0
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
500GB WD HDD
120GB Sandisk SDSSDP128G

Jul 18, 2018

How do you clear the CMOS?

Jul 18, 2018

No change. The pc turns on, and I'm still greeted by two beeps and a black screen

Jul 18, 2018

Not that im aware of no. I think I may of bricked the motherboard. I'm taking it in for repairs at the computer shop tomorrow

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Actually, your board supports USB Flashback.

Do you have another system you could use, to download the latest BIOS file?

The Flashback port if the USB port next to the rear audio jacks, at the bottom.

BIOS flashback button is on the bottom edge of the motherboard, labelled "BIOS_FLBK"

From the manual.

You can also download the BIOS from ASUS website
Rename the file asM5A97R20.CAP and save it to a USB portable device's root directory.

Insert the USB storage device to the USB Flashback port.

Press the BIOS Flashback button for three seconds until a flashing light appears, which indicates that the BIOS Flashback function is enabled.

Wait until the light goes out, indicating that the BIOS updating process is completed

Solution

TRENDING THREADS