Question Asus Motherboard Headache

Robairex

Prominent
Mar 7, 2021
Looking for some help with a frustrating problem with my Asus motherboard.

System:

Ryzen 7 3700X

Rosewill Capstone 750W gold certified PSU

2x8 G Skill F4-3600C16-8GVKC

Asus Prime X570-P with 3001 bios

MSI RX 5700 EVOKE OC

Win 10 64 bit

I had a stable sytem for about 9 months and then started to have random reboots, only when system is idle. All temps are normal. Can run benchmarks, stress tests, memtest, etc, without errors. All latest drivers installed. Problem persisted despite updating bios, swapping PSU, reinstall windows. no blue screens, just behaves like someone pressed the reset button. No crash dumps are produced.

In event viewer would see: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." Event ID: 41. Level: Critical.

I contacted Asus for tech support, they said RMA the board. While the board was sent to Asus, I swapped in a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite MB. Took a month to get the return back from Asus. For a month, I had zero reboots, totally stable system with the Gigabyte board. Asus sent back to me another board with a different serial number with latest bios 3405 installed. Asus stated: “SWAP directly & no repair, due to RMA service policy”.

After I got the replacement Asus motherboard back, I reassembled the system, with fresh install of Win 10. Immediately, reboots again with system idle. Same problem, with benchmarks, gaming, any stress the system is stable. Let it sit idle, reboots. Tried increasing SOC +.04, no change. Very frustrating. I've sent a new complaint to Asus, waiting for a reply from them. Appreciate any input on what to do next….

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

According to Asus's support site for your motherboard, you have one more BIOS version to update to. You should update to 3405 skipping the Beta BIOS. Also, by fresh install did you fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? You're also advised to install all relevant drivers for your platform in an elevated command(manually), right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Robairex

Prominent
Mar 7, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

According to Asus's support site for your motherboard, you have one more BIOS version to update to. You should update to 3405 skipping the Beta BIOS. Also, by fresh install did you fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? You're also advised to install all relevant drivers for your platform in an elevated command(manually), right click installer>Run as Administrator.

As I mentioned, the replacement board came with the 3405 bios. A fresh install of win 10 was done with a bootable USB drive made with the windows media creation tool. Most of the drivers were loaded with the install of windows and it rebooted. Chipset and video drivers were updated from direct download from AMD. I've assembled too many PCs to count now, and never found installing these drivers made a difference by right click and run as administrator. Device Manager does not show any problems. I'm thinking of rolling back to the 1407 bios when I first got the board, there were no problems then.

Ds_Tech

Great
Jan 25, 2021
Try changing windows power setting change to high performance or balance performance vise versa.
Have you tried linux try live linux and see if it also restart or not in idle.
And disable xmp or D.O.C.P. in bios.

Robairex

Prominent
Mar 7, 2021
Try changing windows power setting change to high performance or balance performance vise versa.
Have you tried linux try live linux and see if it also restart or not in idle.
And disable xmp or D.O.C.P. in bios.

I've done all this except for trying linux. The key thing though, is that when I sent the original Asus board back, I replaced with the Gigabyte board with no other hardware changes. After booting, I had to reactivate windows due to new motherboard. Zero reboots with the Gigabyte board with same memory, psu, cpu, etc, and no changes to power plan or any other windows setting. otherwise, similar bios settings on the Gigabyte board as far as memory timings, etc. This seems to isolate this problem to something hardware on this Asus board?

Ds_Tech

Great
Jan 25, 2021
I've done all this except for trying linux. The key thing though, is that when I sent the original Asus board back, I replaced with the Gigabyte board with no other hardware changes. After booting, I had to reactivate windows due to new motherboard. Zero reboots with the Gigabyte board with same memory, psu, cpu, etc, and no changes to power plan or any other windows setting. otherwise, similar bios settings on the Gigabyte board as far as memory timings, etc. This seems to isolate this problem to something hardware on this Asus board?
May be due to new bios update try revert to old Bios.

Robairex

Prominent
Mar 7, 2021
May be due to new bios update try revert to old Bios.

Rolling back to the 1407 bios is a definite consideration. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Asus level 2 support. In the meantime, I've tried setting LLC to medium. No reboots so far today, but time will tell if this will make a difference.

Reactions: Ds_Tech

TRENDING THREADS