Question ASUS Motherboard Orange DRAM Light

piomat

Honorable
May 20, 2017
I am STUMPED

I built my very first PC a few days ago and have since been battling with a constant orange DRAM light on the mobo

The PC completely refuses to boot and the light is instant, it doesn't blink and immediately appears as soon as the computer is powered on. All of the fans, USB slots on the case, and everything else works fine, it's just that the motherboard doesn't boot and nothing happens on the monitor

I'm using an ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus paired with a Ryzen 9 7900x and DDR5 RAM, and I've tried almost every solution under the sun:

• Tried one RAM stick in each of the slots
  • Bought and tried new RAM stick at a weaker MHz from a different company
  • Reseated CPU (no broken pins visible)
  • Reconnected CPU (also tried with the optional 4 pin connector)
  • Took out battery for a few minutes
  • Purchased new battery
  • BIOS update via USB
  • Checked PSU cables
I'm completely stumped, so please let me know if there's anything else I haven't tried yet

I'm also using a Corsair 850e PSU, and I don't THINK anything would make it incompatible (please let me know if I'm mistaken)

Thank you in advance :)

1st time powering on might be slow before getting a screen, wait about 5 minutes to be sure

breadboard the system outside the case and only use the bare minimum:
CPU, motherboard, one stick of RAM seated in slot A2, power supply completely connected (on both sides, motherboard and PSU!), CPU cooler with fan, video cable from motherboard to monitor, keyboard to USB
remove everything else

while using flashback:
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (TGB650P.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."
was it a successful flash?

take some pictures of your CPU socket of the motherboard, check if some pins are bent in a different direction or not looking like the others (discolored or similar)

Last edited:
Reactions: piomat

piomat

Honorable
May 20, 2017
1st time powering on might be slow before getting a screen, wait about 5 minutes to be sure

breadboard the system outside the case and only use the bare minimum:
CPU, motherboard, one stick of RAM seated in slot A2, power supply completely connected (on both sides, motherboard and PSU!), CPU cooler with fan, video cable from motherboard to monitor, keyboard to USB
remove everything else

while using flashback:
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (TGB650P.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."
was it a successful flash?

take some pictures of your CPU socket of the motherboard, check if some pins are bent in a different direction or not looking like the others (discolored or similar)
Thank you for the response!

Unfortunately, I've tried all of these things already

It's possible that I may have missed a bent CPU pin on the Motherboard, however, it's unlikely as we took it out a couple of days ago and gave it a pretty good look

As for your BIOS Flashback question, I downloaded the update from the ASUS site, used their renaming tool, and inserted the (FAT32) USB into the 'BIOS' USB slot and proceeded to press the button

There's no indicator that tells you that it's finished AFAIK, but the green light flashed for about 3-4 minutes before stopping, so I assume the update was successful

I've also cleared the CMOS a number of times to no avail, it's always the constant orange DRAM light paired with no monitor display :(

piomat

Honorable
May 20, 2017
take some pictures of your system (upload to imgur.com or similar)
all connections on motherboard and PSU side
Here are the pics:
View: https://imgur.com/a/uFF1XZP

That third cable in the SATA/PATA slot just connects to the pre-installed case fans

Once again, this is my first time building a PC so it's possible that I messed a connection up along the way, but I followed a tutorial pretty closely

Thank you once again

The 8pin power connector seems to be not tightened enough. Check if it can get a bit deeper

Did you use spacer between motherboard and case and are these correctly set, like the motherboard manual says?

Did you connect a monitor to it?

Sep 4, 2023
Sorry, no help here, but fellow commisseration. Getting the same problem. Here are my specs.
Ryzen 7900x3d, Kingston Technology Fury Beast 64GB (2x32GB) 6000MT/s , ASUS ROG Strix B650-A Gaming WiFi 6E AM5 , WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 (x2), Corsair RM850x (2021) Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - 80 PLUS Gold

piomat

Honorable
May 20, 2017
Sorry, no help here, but fellow commisseration. Getting the same problem. Here are my specs.
Ryzen 7900x3d, Kingston Technology Fury Beast 64GB (2x32GB) 6000MT/s , ASUS ROG Strix B650-A Gaming WiFi 6E AM5 , WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 (x2), Corsair RM850x (2021) Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - 80 PLUS Gold
I actually managed to get it fixed after about a month of trying

What I ended up doing is getting a replacement motherboard and CPU (which you could also do assuming you purchased your parts recently), and one of them fixed the problem

If you tried everything that I mentioned in the post to no avail, then it's probably that either one, or both of these components is faulty

Another thing you need to make sure of is to not turn the PC off immediately after seeing the organge DRAM, your PC needs around 30-60 seconds to train new RAM sticks, especially if it's DDR5 like mine was

So each time you try a potential fix, leave the PC on for a while

Best of luck!