Question Asus Motherboard overheating?

Nov 11, 2020
Hi,

My PC has suddenly shut down a couple of times in quick succession. When I check my speccy temperatures it says 113°C for my Motherboard, even tho my CPU & GPU are both below 45°C. When I open up my case I don't get the feeling the motherboard is actually 115°. I googled around a bit and installed HWMonitor to double check, but the shown temperatures are similar to speccy.

My motherboard is an ASUS Z97-K (almost 6 years old). I've never had issues with this before.

Any ideas on what my next steps are? I checked all the fans and they are still working properly.

Thanks!
Mikel

Let it cool down, remove the side cover and leave it off for now, and start it up again while observing fans, air flow, etc. to determine if airflow is impeded in some area. You may need some kind of smoke generating device to observe the air flow properly. Also observe temperature with the side panel off. If HWMonitor is still showing high temperatures shut the machine off and let it cool down again.

Acquire some kind of non-contact automotive thermometer, turn the machine back on, and start examining various areas to locate any hot spots. That might tell you what is generating all the heat.

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP...t=&hvlocphy=1026847&hvtargid=pla-854702792598

Nov 11, 2020
I've turned off my pc overnight with the side cover off. I just booted up my pc, while checking the fans and airflow. All fans were working and there was an obvious airflow through the case. I checked the temperature again and now it says 118°C. So I'm strongly assuming the issue is with the thermometer and not actual overheating?
Was my PC shutting down an automatic reaction to the faulty thermometer? How can I fix this?

Dec 30, 2020
I've turned off my pc overnight with the side cover off. I just booted up my pc, while checking the fans and airflow. All fans were working and there was an obvious airflow through the case. I checked the temperature again and now it says 118°C. So I'm strongly assuming the issue is with the thermometer and not actual overheating?
Was my PC shutting down an automatic reaction to the faulty thermometer? How can I fix this?
check temperature of north and south bridge

TRENDING THREADS