Asus Motherboard Sports USB 3.0 Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sweet this what i was waiting for now transferring files from external usb hard drives will be much faster.

paranoidmage

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Now we just need a southbridge that supports it natively. I don't know why Intel doesn't push this technology more when they help develop it.

It's all good news, though.

G

Firewire 800 would be far more useful than USB 3.0. USB is for toys.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]wotan89[/nom]Firewire 800 would be far more useful than USB 3.0. USB is for toys.[/citation]

Firewire 800? With its 800mbit versus USB 3.0's potential 5gbit? Something doesn't click with me.

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
If Tom's could get a benchmark of throughput through these ports on this board I'd really appreciate it. Been holding off on buying a new PC for this and the new SATA.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]NegativeX[/nom]Would be nice if Asus would state a release date![/citation]
You mean NOW all i need is something that has usb 3.0

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
So USB 3.0 should start showing up on more motherboards after Win7 comes out, even thou Win7 doesn't have native support for USB3 (AFAIK).

note: the USB Police says there is NO USB 2.0 or 3.0. The new USB is: "SuperSpeed USB"... thats fine. We'll call it USB3.0 anyways. ;)

USB a toy? Er... yeah, Firewire was faster than USB1. Firewire 800 is better than USB 2.0. I don't see Firewire having anything to go against USB 3.0.

But here is the thing. Firewire and USB are not exactly competing products. Its almost like saying that USB2.0 is better than Gigabit Ethernet.

Firewire was/is made as a data transfer standard that works with camcorders and drive units - long before the release of USB.
USB is a Universal device interface for joysticks, keyboards, mice, etc.
But with USB 3.0, Firewire becomes less important especially since todays camcorders are using USB 2.0... ;)

Next year would be THE time to get a camcorder with USB3. It'll take about a year before we'll start see digital cameras/corders and other devices hit the market. But it'll be the External HDs that'll be easiest and highest in demand.

G

why are there USB 2.0 ports on that board as well? I read somewhere that USB 3.0 was backwards compatible with 2.0.
I also read it wouldn't be backwards compatible with 1.0, so I guess if that's true then it would make a little bit of sense, yet I myself don't use any 1.0 products.

Anyone have answers?

-Unsure Sean

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I disagree with most of the arguments about Firewire (400 or 800). Much of the importance is in the professional world. Ask any audio engineer which they would prefer to work on... USB 2.0 or Firewire 400, and they'll tell you Firewire.

Everything else is has pretty much gone to USB. Maybe if the 3.0 revisions fix other issues then we'll see Pro Audio move towards USB.

(I am fully aware that there are USB Audio Interfaces available that work decently. But, on the high end, they trust firewire. And for a good reason.)

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]neon neophyte[/nom]external video cards!!!!!![/citation]
Bloody good point. You upgrade much easier, they'll dissipate easier and you can use an external PSU!
Luckily I haven't gone out and bought my i7 yet, but I want to soon. Previously the reason was Win7 and pricing but now USB 3 seems a must. No point getting an i7 setup and then months later rueing about no USB 3.0!

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Sorry to double post - but external graphics card is just a genius of an idea. You upgrade cards most, and also for the first time you can buy a small form factory PC for normal use and when you need to beef it up for games you plug in the graphics card. Pure genius Neon. Get out the patent. I'll buy one.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Unsure Sean[/nom]why are there USB 2.0 ports on that board as well? I read somewhere that USB 3.0 was backwards compatible with 2.0. I also read it wouldn't be backwards compatible with 1.0, so I guess if that's true then it would make a little bit of sense, yet I myself don't use any 1.0 products.Anyone have answers?-Unsure Sean[/citation]
Cost! It's cheaper to only give you two ports figuring you wont be needing any more than that for now. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.