Question ASUS Motherboard stuck in BIOS Loop

Jul 1, 2019
Hello. First things first, I'm typing this from a phone, sorry if the format looks weird. Secondly, I'm a complete noob when it comes to PCs and navigating through the Motherboard.

Okay, Thursday night I was studying with my PC on while listening to some songs on YouTube when everything suddenly froze, partially. Sound was still playing, Mozilla, Word, Steam and some other programs stopped responding, so I decided to let it sort itself out. Mouse was working, and some functions (such as opening Windows on the lower left) still kinda worked. Mozilla then closed itself after a window popped out asking me if I wanted to, but the remaining programs were dead in the water.

I decided to wait a bit more till I saw that nothing was happening, so I made a reset. When it did, it got past the main BIOS screen and immediately got into the setup, I thought this was highly unlikely, I tried to close the BIOS but nothing, it threw me back in.

Not even a reset would let me get past this. I didn't know what to do, I was told that I should use the Jumpers (I'm sorry but I don't know what are those) or that it could be the battery. After setting the BIOS to 'default' using the option available, and restarting, it went past the BIOS screen but stopped right at 'American Megatrends' saying that I'm having a CPU_FAN Speed Error, which I "Fixed" two years ago, by setting the option in CPU_FAN from Monitor to Disable.

I got back into the setup menu and did just that, reset, and back at the BIOS loop again. Some time after, I finally decided go open the casing and took the battery out, plugged it back in and it works now, Windows loaded up and that was it. Turned it off, went to bed and turned it on on Sunday.

Only to find out the same issue, back again at the BIOS loop. I tried some recommended boot options, none of which worked. My hard drive is not detected by the BIOS, but for example when it got past the BIOS screen and threw me the CPU_FAN error, the system was detecting it, even in the BIOS, but when the error was fixed, the Hard Drive disappeared from the boot menu.

I opened it once again and decided to check on the cables leading to the hard drive, they were a bit loose. Once I fixed that, the PC started as normal.

Today, I decided to turn it on again and once again it is stuck in the BIOS loop...

My rig is:

ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero (Ver. 0505)
Intel Core i7-7700 4.20GHz
Corsair H80i v2 Water Cooler
Power Unit 700W EVGA 100B1-0700-K8 Bronze
GTX 1080

I almost forgot, when the BIOS loads up on it's own, it always sends me to the "Extreme Tweaker" tab, Overclocking. I don't want to touch any of that.

Anything else you need, let me know.

Cheers!

Jul 1, 2019
Sounds like your hard drive is failing, If you have any pictures/document you better copy them off the next time you can get into windows. Do not operate it until you are ready to try to copy.

Could it be the RAM sticks?, I have changed one stick from one socket to another and I got into Windows.

I don't hear the Hard Drive struggling or anything though.

Jul 1, 2019
Yes, ram can keep it from booting. the ram might have worked loose and need to be reseated. Where was the memory? with 1 stick its supposed to be in A2, 2sticks A2, B2, how many do you have?

Two sticks, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3200 DDR4. They were in the 2nd and 4th socket, I removed the stick on the 2nd socket and turned it on without it. I made it to Windows.

I had to move the sticks some months ago because I was having boot problems.

Hope that's ok.