Mar 12, 2019
Hey guys,
I have an ASUS Vivobook Max X541UV with the i7-6500u CPU. My motherboard (60NB0CG0-MB3011) has an issue due to water damage and so I'm planning on getting a new/used one. I'm thinking of the i7-7500u. I'm just not sure if it is compatible. How do I check that BEFORE investing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You really don't. You can eyeball it and see if the shape, cooling, and all the connectors are the same. But really the only way to find out is to try it.

X541UV does appear to come with multiple offerings, so chances are good. But you never really know, all it takes is a difference in the LCD panel or some minor modification made in a later revision that could cause you problems.

Usually more information about older computers. This is relatively new, so there won't have been too many repairs attempted.

Mar 12, 2019
Oh that's sort of a relief to read. I'm not too tech savvy (at least in the depths of motherboards).

The exact laptop model I have is the X541UV-BH71-CB and it came with an i7-6500u CPU with 8Gb Ram. There are no motherboards for this model available for sale currently so am trying to work around it by looking for similar ones (e.g. the i7-7500u). Luckily the shapes are the same. I'm not sure of the connectors. I would really appreciate if someone with a tech eye could see whether any matches..
There is one post of a motherboard like mine that is currently unavailable but could be used for reference: https://picclick.ca/ASUS-X541UV-BH7...FORCE-920MX-60NB0CG0-MB3011-263311736542.html

Thank you so much.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
With the device in hand you are better placed to tell. You can look closely at what your laptop has in it and compare that to the bare boards you see for sale. You are really looking for location differences or anything obvious on the connectors. If the CPU and GPU are in the same places and the heatsink looks like it will fit, it is worth a try.

For example, laptops are sometimes available with multiple display resolutions/touchscreen etc. They should all share a common connector, but there is no reason the manufacturer has to stick to that. They could pair the more expensive screen with a different motherboard for the touchscreen, or a fancier camera.

Maybe between the 6th and 7th generation they upgraded the touchpad for instance. If that is a different connector and you try to plug it in, maybe that won't fit. Not the end of the world, there are still USB mice to plug in.

Since the most important things are attached to the motherboard directly, you don't have to worry about that. It is anything that is attached to the chassis and comes in by wire you have to take a close look at.