ASUS Motherboard Utilities

talktoarnab

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013
Hi People,

Need to know something about asus motherboard before trying to run it myself and gettting into a chance of ruining it.

First thing, in the EZ Mode of BIOS how does these 3 modes, Energy Saving, Normal, ASUS Optimal affect the components? How do they, if at all they do, increase or decrease perfomance.

Secondly, the AI Suite, is it a reliable software for improving performance? Is it safe? Does the monitor and show the stats correctly? Just would like to know what to use and what to avoid in this software. My specs are:

MOBO: ASUS P8H61-M LX
Processor: Intel Core i5 2400 3.16Ghz
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz (Single stick)
GPU: Sapphire HD7770 Ghz edition
PSU: Corsair VS550 550watts
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB

Solution
It is a small overclock do not worry . This mode is more about offering a good ground for a real overclock . Imagine that it might overclock your CPU buy 0.1-0.3GHz approx. So the overclock is minimal in the other hardware too. You are not in danger of damaging your system at all do not worry . You might see your system being a little unstable ( restarts ). If not then your system can handle it.
In any case you can always return to normal mode.

Nismo1

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
Energy Saving: It sacrifices some perfomance but you save energy and your hardware will probably have an extented lifetime.
Normal: Is pretty much normal. The balance between the 2 modes.
ASUS Optimal: It 'overclocks' your whole system and offers more stability if you try to overclock your CPU , so more stability in general. It is more power consuming .
I suggest either normal or ASUS Optimal . That's up to you.
AI Suite is an ASUS software. Yes it is safe and accurate (altough some people have some installation issues ) and it really helps and makes overclocking easier. I have to warn you though , overclocking causes a warranty void for Intel (if they know it , hehe ) . But you must already know that :D

talktoarnab

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013

Yes I know about the waranty stuff :p.... I believe im not much in favour of overclocking the CPU manually, so will use AI Suite for monitor purposes in general, but im a bit tempted to use the ASUS Optimal setting to get a bit more. DO you have any idea idea as to "what extent" this ASUS Optimal setting overclocks? Is it likely to put my system into risk considering the configuration I have?

Nismo1

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
You are safe your GPU needs 450W minimum . This mode is gonna demand some more but not a lot . A good quality 550W PSU ( corsair VS series are good, not as good as AX,HX but they are fine ) is ok .

talktoarnab

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013

ASUS Optimal Overclocks the GPU also??? :ouch: what about the CPU its only 2nd gen and not the K series (which supports OCing I guess)

Nismo1

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
It is a small overclock do not worry . This mode is more about offering a good ground for a real overclock . Imagine that it might overclock your CPU buy 0.1-0.3GHz approx. So the overclock is minimal in the other hardware too. You are not in danger of damaging your system at all do not worry . You might see your system being a little unstable ( restarts ). If not then your system can handle it.
In any case you can always return to normal mode.

Solution

talktoarnab

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks for the help!!! You cleared up lots of my confusions.. The after sales service for PC components is really quite pathetic in my country.... so a bit hesitant and I do want to avoid getting into those situations...