Question ASUS Motherboard won't POST

Oct 30, 2022
I've been building my own AMD Computers for years and thought I'd try to build my first Intel Computer.
ASUS TUF Gaming Z690 Plus WiFi D4
Intel i5-13600K
EVGA 850 BQ PSU
WD_Black SN770 1TB SSD
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (Vengeance LPX 2 X 8GB 3200Mhz DDR4 DRAM)

I have not put in the Video Card, bare minimum of installed components. I plugged the HDMI cord for the monitor to the board, I put in the USBs for the keyboard and mouse, and then the speakers.
I turned it on and the Troubleshooting lights get to the Yellow light for DRAM and stops. No display on the monitor.

I unplugged the power, took out the battery and cleared the CMOS, first steps of the troubleshooting process. Plugged it back in, same thing. DRAM light nothing on the monitor. Tried holding down the Delete button while starting, still nothing on the monitor.

ASUS suggests using DRAM from a list on their site but my specific model number isn't there. Are ASUS motherboards that picky about which DRAM their motherboard will use? I know the ram is good, I got it out of a working AMD build, and the connectors are clean.

Any Ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks,
Dave

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I wouldn't expect the motherboard to be that picky.

Your motherboard needs BIOS version 2004, or newer, to work with your CPU.

Do you have any idea what version is installed?

Oct 30, 2022
I have no idea which BIOS was installed on the board. However, during the POST, the motherboard first lights up the CPU LED for less than a second, then goes to DRAM and stops. So I don't believe that the CPU is stumping it.

Oct 30, 2022
In the manual I found BIOS in the specifications summary but it really doesn't seem to make sense.
Under Software Features
UEFI BIOS
-ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
-ASUS EZ Flash 3
- ASUS UEFI BIOS EZ Mode

Under "BIOS"
192 (128+64) Mb Flash ROM UEFI AMI BIOS

I'm going to assume that the BIOS are not up to date considering the manufacturing date is Feb 2022. Long before the i5-13600K came out. So the next question is, how do I update a motherboard that won't POST?

Oct 30, 2022
This is something I think is strange. The monitor is plugged into the board, I haven't installed the graphics card yet. The CPU is the i5-13600K, not the KF, so it should show something on the monitor. The monitor says there is nothing plugged in at all.
I tried starting it while hitting the delete button to bypass the POST but nothing shows up on the monitor. I would think that the board's logo would show up at least, but nothing.

Oct 30, 2022
Breadboarding the build. I have the monitor plugged into the HDMI output from the board, the heatsink is on and the fans are plugged in. I used a different cable to go from the PSU to the CPU power plug (using the 8 pin). I left the M.2 hard drive in.
I took the DRAM out and turned it on. I got 1 long beep and 2 short beeps repeating.
I then installed 1 stick of DRAM and turned it on. Silence. I have tried 4 different sticks of working DDR4 DRAM with the same results.
The sticks of DRAM are not on the Approved Memory list from ASUS. 2 sticks were 2x8 and the other 2 were 2X16, all Corsair.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Breadboarding the build. I have the monitor plugged into the HDMI output from the board, the heatsink is on and the fans are plugged in. I used a different cable to go from the PSU to the CPU power plug (using the 8 pin). I left the M.2 hard drive in.
I took the DRAM out and turned it on. I got 1 long beep and 2 short beeps repeating.
I then installed 1 stick of DRAM and turned it on. Silence. I have tried 4 different sticks of working DDR4 DRAM with the same results.
The sticks of DRAM are not on the Approved Memory list from ASUS. 2 sticks were 2x8 and the other 2 were 2X16, all Corsair.
Needs the BIOS updated.

Oct 30, 2022
I believe you about the BIOS Update, but the question is how do I update the BIOS when it won't POST? There isn't a Flash button on this board. There isn't a dedicated USB input for BIOS either. I was looking to do that but I haven't found a way to do it when the Monitor doesn't come on.
Any info on how to do that would be very helpful,

TRENDING THREADS