Question asus new battery wont keep charge

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
asus g75v laptop. well over 5 years old. april 2019 the battery charger died so i got a replacement. i virtually never use the machine on battery but for years whenever i did have to use it on battery it only lasted a few minutes. i figured its over 5 years old. get a new battery someday. it would show fully charged but the last time i took it off the charger it lasted 2 minutes. so i finally decided to buy a new battery. installed it this week and now i notice it has dropped to 60 percent and says is charging plugged in. thing is this never gets unplugged. i did read that it should fall to 95 then charge so it doesnt get overcharged by staying at 100, but no way should it be dropping into the 60s while always plugged in. i have taken out the battery, unplugged the machine and held the power 1 minute and also uninstalled the battery files in device manager as per a youtube suggestion then they reinstalled. also very strangely, if i take the battery out while the laptop is plugged in, it turns off. i dont know if this is normal for this machine or not

so it seems like i have a defective battery .i guess? any other reason for a plugged in unit to discharge the battery?

specs of charger
FEATURES / POWER SPECS : Only Pwr+ Chargers Have Extra Long 12 Ft Power AC/DC cords / Output Max: 19.5V 6.3A-9.23A 120-180W / Input Volt Range: 100-240V / Made in Taiwan / Original Genuine OEM Asus Charger Laptop AC Adapter Power Cord Replacement by PWR+

specs of battery
  • Battery type: Li-ion; Voltage: 14.4V. Capacity: 5200mAh
  • Fit for: ASUS G75 Series ASUS G75V Series ASUS G75VM Series ASUS G75VW Series ASUS G75VX Series ASUS G75 3D Series ASUS G75V 3D Series ASUS G75VM 3D Series ASUS G75VW 3D Series ASUS G75VX 3D Series
  • 100% New from Manufacturer. Up to 500 recharge cycles over the life of the battery.

Lutfij

Titan
The ideal method to operate off a battery on a laptop is to discharge it to 10% then plug the AC adapter to allow it to charge. It's unhealthy to always be connected to the wall both for the circuitry and the battery. That being said, when a battery is replaced, you're advised to do a couple of charging and discharging sessions.

Upon having the new battery installed, you should charge all the way to 100%, then allow the battery to discharge, which almost always will result in the battery abruptly giving out, don't panic, charge it up again then discharge again until you notice that the battery is now holding onto the charge.

It's also good practice to make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS update to rule out any compatibility issues(or inherent problems with power delivery).

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Well I guess I'm really screwed. I ran the new battery down to nothing and it would not even work when I plugged it in when I put my old battery in and now the computer will not even start. At least it worked with the old battery. I don't know what to do also I wanted to note that the battery charging light did not work when the laptop was turned off. Only when the laptop was turned on. So I'm assuming if the light is not on that even the new battery would not be charging.

Okay it's now ten minutes later and I don't know what made me do this but I have the laptop turned on its side. The old battery is in and the red light is on that it is charging and the computer booted up okay. So maybe does it sound like the cord could be bad and I am just hitting a good spot when it is on the side. The machine is at least 8 years old because the BIOS to update is 2013 and I hate to get a new one cuz it was $2,000 back then so I guess I will just have to Federal Express a new power pack because it's cheaper to waste $50 then buy a new machine I guess. It is an i7 with 16 gigs of memory and I just put Windows 10 on it a couple months ago and it still runs very well. I7 3630 chip in it

Last edited:

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
bb didnt have the charger.i went to every other big box store. no go

moral of the story..only buy a laptop with 90 not 180 watts!

i did turn the machine back on its side and ive been able to upload tv shows from it to my tivo but i dare not move it until its done lol.. i still cannot figure out why it only works when its on its side. then stops working after a bit.

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
amazon prime is fast. got a trial to get the thing faster. so far so good. been on 5 minutes no issues. part of me wants to order a 2nd pack to keep as a spare though. stinks the original only lasted 18 months. im using the old battery for now . kinda scared something with the new battery fried the old power pack but then again it worked a few days with no issues.

was doing some reasearch. found this out:

To generate a battery report, open Command Prompt and type in powercfg /batteryreport. This command saves a battery report in HTML format to

C:\Users\Your_Username\battery-report.html

has extremely detailed battery info!

Last edited:

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
reporting back new battery and new charger are working fine. also installed battery bar on my taskbar so in BIG letters i can see if the thing is on AC power or somehow disconnects or stops working without me realizing