[SOLVED] ASUS not supporting the AMD Ryzen Zen 3 5000 series CPU's on old motherboards.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I just learned that the older series of AMD chipsets motherboards will not support the new Ryzen 5000 series CPU's. I believe anything below a 570 chipset will not support the new Zen 3. I believe the B450 will not support the Zen 3 I was half asleep and half awake when I learned this info. So ya looks like ASUS is a no go unless you buy a new motherboard with your Zen 3. Im sorry I can't show proof I swifted it away accidently.🙈👶🎗✝

Solution
There's this
"For one, there's no reason why the 400-series chipset motherboards or even the ROG Crosshair VII HERO from ASUS shouldn't support AMD's Ryzen 5000 CPUs. AMD has already provided its board partners with the necessary code to enable support so unless ASUS wants to push their 500-series first, excluding ROG Crosshair VII HERO (X470) from the support list doesn't make any sense at all. "

rgd1101

Don't
I just learned that the older series of AMD chipsets motherboards will not support the new Ryzen 5000 series CPU's. I believe anything below a 570 chipset will not support the new Zen 3. I believe the B450 will not support the Zen 3 I was half asleep and half awake when I learned this info. So ya looks like ASUS is a no go unless you buy a new motherboard with your Zen 3. Im sorry I can't show proof I swifted it away accidently.🙈👶🎗✝
wow. so wrong.
can't show proof because most people have the right info?

bignastyid

Titan
There's this
"For one, there's no reason why the 400-series chipset motherboards or even the ROG Crosshair VII HERO from ASUS shouldn't support AMD's Ryzen 5000 CPUs. AMD has already provided its board partners with the necessary code to enable support so unless ASUS wants to push their 500-series first, excluding ROG Crosshair VII HERO (X470) from the support list doesn't make any sense at all. "

Reactions: Turtle Rig
Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
There's this
I hear you man Im obviously not a troll lol. I think I have a good reputation. I firstly apologize for any controversy. I was on my phone and I got the news there about ASUS and support for motherboards. I accidnetly swiped it away and what not. Now I went to google to see if I can find the article or link or whatever but all I found is ASUS supporting B550 and X570. Did not mean to cause a rant or what not. Anyhow they will provide BIOS updates like you said bignastyid my guru mod. Might have been fake news lol. Just thought I would post it as soon as I saw it I just woke up which is part of the reason I accidnently bypassed the news. Anyhow sorry for any trouble just trying to help out future Zen 3 owners.

Even though it's not true that Asus or other brands are dropping support for Ryzen 5000, I think I'm still going to upgrade to a 500 series board when I get Ryzen 3000 or 5000. I was originally planning to keep using my MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC and upgrade from my Ryzen 5 2600 to a 3700X or Ryzen 5000, but that is no longer a viable option.

The main reason for upgrading is that I now need my PCIE slots for two add-in cards, but also wanted to install two M.2 PCIE SSDs. The board shuts off all the PCIE x1 and second x16 slots when installing the second M.2 PCIE SSD. I already knew this when I bought the motherboard, but it wasn't an issue back then.