[SOLVED] ASUS notebook having sudden shutdowns -- headphone jack induced short, overheating, or something else?

countrystrong

Honorable
Aug 21, 2014
Two days ago My ASUS N750JK notebook crashed after I inserted the headphone jack into the headphone hole. The same headphones work fine on a different notebook. Actually, I had briefly put the jack in the mic port, my bad, then I immediately moved it to the correct headphone hole, then Windows 10 crashed with some generic screen. I guess it was a short. After that, the notebook could boot but it would shutdown after a minute or so, even if I booted to just RAM check or to rescue media. Therefore I disconnected all cables, gently removed the internal battery, pressed the power-on button for ten seconds, mounted the battery back to its place. Then the notebook could boot without shutting down. Now it is working fine, mostly.
I say "mostly" because I've just had another "incident" today during a main Windows 10 upgrade. While the notebook was rebooting it shut down. Tried again and again. Eventually I had to pull the battery and put it back. By so doing, upgrade was completed with success. This time, I was not using a headphone. The battery is new, I replaced the old one last week.

To tell it all, this notebook has always given me some concern. In the past it had occasional shutdowns --just sudden shutdown as if the battery was removed, but it was fully charged and firmly placed-- let's say a sudden shutdown every couple of months or something like that. In the past I could boot again after the shutdowns though. No headphones, no other apparent reason. Just some Kernel-Power critical events in Windows logs.
When it was new-ish I even sent it to ASUS for repair because it eventually broke down entirely: it was like dead, they replaced the mainboard and some other parts. But the "sudden shutdown" issue came back later on. I suspect that it might have something to do with CPU temperature or with some ASUS utilities, but I don't really know. The notebook seem to get pretty hot, Core Temp reads 100 degrees (Celsius) just now, I could cook spaghetti on it, and I am just using FireFox to write this post, then there are Windows Security and Malwarebytes real time, overall CPU usage around 7/10%, the fans seem to work . I am not clear if 100° C is too high or it is normal for an i7 4700HQ (Haswell).

Also, the speakers crackle a bit. It never was crystal clear, possibly it got worse.
I've tried and uninstalled the audio driver, then Windows reinstalled a driver at boot, but still no joy. I also disabled whatever I could: sound effects, spdif port, line out. Latency is a bit high even if I switch off WiFi, airplane mode. I am pretty confident there is no malware involved.

Maybe some of the issues are not related but I tried to draw the full picture.

Last edited:
Solution
Your notebook is shutting down because your cpu is getting too hot. Go over your notebook with a fine tooth comb and clean every air vent that your can find. You can also go into bios to see if you have ability to increase fan speed. I would use the most aggressive setting allowed if you can control it. You can also try speedfan to see if it will give you control. SpeedFan - Download (softonic.com)
Your notebook is shutting down because your cpu is getting too hot. Go over your notebook with a fine tooth comb and clean every air vent that your can find. You can also go into bios to see if you have ability to increase fan speed. I would use the most aggressive setting allowed if you can control it. You can also try speedfan to see if it will give you control. SpeedFan - Download (softonic.com)

Solution

countrystrong

Honorable
Aug 21, 2014
Hi Fix_that_Glitch, thanks for your advice.

I will clean more thoroughly the air vents. Please notice that the ASUS N750 has an aluminum chassis which in theory should dissipate heat very well. Still, this notebook is hot!

No fan speed settings in BIOS.

SpeedFan 4.5.2 reads fan speed somewhere between 1.000 and 2.000 RPM.

In Windows 10 - Power Settings - Processor Power Management, the System Cooling Policy is set to ACTIVE both On Battery and when Plugged In.

Windows Settings also allow to set Minimum and Maximum Processor State values: it was 100% for both, I am trying 5% min and 80% max now.

Besides, I've set the power plan to Power Saving even when the notebook is plugged in.

Last edited: