Question Asus Nvidia Strix 970 Problem

Aug 21, 2021
Hello. I am trying to get my optiplex 790 pc working with my strix gtx 970, but the system will not power on if the graphics card is plugged in. It doesn't even get to the boot screen. The power light turns to orange and blinks when I try to power it on, which means there's a power problem, but I do not know what it is. The light on the graphics card is white when I plug it in, so the graphics card is receiving power. If the graphics card is not plugged in, everything works fine. Are there any reasons this is happening/fixes?

Specs:
Dell Optiplex 790 Motherboard/Case
14 GB DDR3 RAM (Three 4GB sticks and one 2GB stick)
i5-2500 CPU
Aresgame 500W Bronze Power Supply
1 TB HDD

Hello. I am trying to get my optiplex 790 pc working with my strix gtx 970, but the system will not power on if the graphics card is plugged in. It doesn't even get to the boot screen. The power light turns to orange and blinks when I try to power it on, which means there's a power problem, but I do not know what it is. The light on the graphics card is white when I plug it in, so the graphics card is receiving power. If the graphics card is not plugged in, everything works fine. Are there any reasons this is happening/fixes?

Specs:
Dell Optiplex 790 Motherboard/Case
14 GB DDR3 RAM (Three 4GB sticks and one 2GB stick)
i5-2500 CPU
Aresgame 500W Bronze Power Supply
1 TB HDD
Try to update the motherboard bios to the latest.

Aug 21, 2021
Try to update the motherboard bios to the latest.
I may look into that later, but I have no experience flashing the bios, so I am worried I may brick my computer. Also, I forgot to mention that this used to have a GTX 1650 running fine in it, but when I upgraded my pc, I moved it to the new one. I had to leave the motherboard and almost everything else in the optiplex, so I may try putting in the 1650 to see if it works before flashing my bios. Another thing that may change some things is that I recently bought that GPU on ebay.
EDIT: I just put the 970 in the newer pc and it has the same problem. The fans will twitch and then nothing. Same power supply too.
EDIT #2: Ok, looks like it's fried. Starting the return process now.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS