News Asus Offers 16-Pin Cables to ROG PSU Owners For 'Peace of Mind'

InvalidError

Titan
power cables connected to Nvidia's flagship GeForce RTX 4090 have been reportedly melting, at an alarming rate.
How many more seemingly confirmed melted connectors has there been since the initial 18 or so until the first alleged melting of a "native" HPWR cable? Reporting on failures has mostly died out after the first two weeks.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Nov 14, 2022
This is not true. I ordered my 1000w Thor P2 a few weeks ago specifically because all the marketing mentioned it came with a 16 pin cable.

When it came in, it only had a 12 pin cable.

When I called in to Asus support to ask for the 16 pin cable that was promised he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. I had to eventually pull up asus's own ROG website and read the exact quote that they were advertising on their own website. The 16 pin cable was heavily featured in Asus' own marketing as coming with the 1000w Thor P2.

It also said, on their own website, that if you didn't receive a 16 pin cable with your PSU to reach out to them and they will send you one.

Once I instructed the agent to check their own website and he saw all this he conceeded and took my info down and said someone would reach out to me within a couple days.

Couple days later I get a very brief email from Asus and they just say sorry, the cable is out of stock. No other recourse, no eta on restock.. nothing. Just a sorry, kick rocks... On a $330 PSU lmao.

I emailed back, mentioning that I was rather upset with this as one of the primary reasons I specifically ordered this PSU was because it was supposed to come with a 600w 16 pin 12vhpwr cable.

I asked when they expected to be able to send me my cable and if they are refusing to send something that was marketed as being in the box and wasn't, what other recourse they had in mind.

A few weeks later, I basically got the same brief sorry it's out of stock email with no real elaboration or care.

Oct 2, 2022
Given barely anyone can reproduce it regularly or reliably and several people have pointed out reproducing it involves not plugging things in properly, this smacks of PR nonsense from Asus.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
This is not true. I ordered my 1000w Thor P2 a few weeks ago specifically because all the marketing mentioned it came with a 16 pin cable.

When it came in, it only had a 12 pin cable.

When I called in to Asus support to ask for the 16 pin cable that was promised he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. I had to eventually pull up asus's own ROG website and read the exact quote that they were advertising on their own website. The 16 pin cable was heavily featured in Asus' own marketing as coming with the 1000w Thor P2.

It also said, on their own website, that if you didn't receive a 16 pin cable with your PSU to reach out to them and they will send you one.

Once I instructed the agent to check their own website and he saw all this he conceeded and took my info down and said someone would reach out to me within a couple days.

Couple days later I get a very brief email from Asus and they just say sorry, the cable is out of stock. No other recourse, no eta on restock.. nothing. Just a sorry, kick rocks... On a $330 PSU lmao.

I emailed back, mentioning that I was rather upset with this as one of the primary reasons I specifically ordered this PSU was because it was supposed to come with a 600w 16 pin 12vhpwr cable.

I asked when they expected to be able to send me my cable and if they are refusing to send something that was marketed as being in the box and wasn't, what other recourse they had in mind.

A few weeks later, I basically got the same brief sorry it's out of stock email with no real elaboration or care.
You spent $330 on a 1000W PSU? I hope that is a conversion from a non-US market.