Asus or Gigabyte MB? Which should I choose?

htredneck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Hi All:
I will be upgrading MB and Chip soon and I am looking for some opinions. I have had mostly good results with Asus until now with a few exceptions.

I am looking for midrange board (price and performance). I want something stable (no new boards with no history) and good flexibility with chip, memory and OC. I don´t want SLI, WIFI or any flashing lights. Just a good, solid board :D

I have recently changed my GP from ATI to NVIDIA after many problems with drivers and I am very happy I did.

QUESTION: Should I change MB from ASUS to GIGABYTE? Opinions please.

Thanks

Present system:

Asus P5GD2 Deluxe
Prescott 3 GHz
2 gig 533 DDR2
ASUS 7900 GS
Seagate 500 gig

danaconda

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
The Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 (or DS3) is a very reputable board. The price is less than $130 (for the DS3) and $110 for the S3. The difference is that the "D" stands for "durable" meaning that board has solid state capacitors.

Just look around some overclocking sites, you'll see the DS3 continually mentioned. And if you don't plan to overclock, that's no problem, since general reasoning is that if a board is a great overclocker, then it's gotta be even better at stock!

I own the S3 version so I saved $20. Didn't care about any minor differences in the two boards. I have my Core 2 Duo E4300 overclocked to 3.2ghz and this was my first time ever overclocking. I found step-by-step guides in many places (including these forums) that used my exact motherboard, so there were no possibilities of a screw-up with different BIOS options.

This should suit your mid-range board with plenty of support/history. Stop by the Gigabyte discussion forums and I bet you'll see 3 or 4 posts on the first page alone for both the S3 and DS3 (they're really the same board in most regards, so anything that applies to one, applies to the other).