Asus Outs ‘New Upcoming Processors’ With AMD B350/X370 BIOS Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattfody67

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
This is not new news. AMD said the new chips are coming out first quarter next year. Main improvements are going to be the IPC and other optimization of the architecture and maybe fix overclocking cap.

Are these APU's going to have a maximum of FOUR cores (eight threads)? I would imagine that's a certainty as Ryzen CPU's have two CCX modules, so they could use one half of the CPU (the space of one CCX module) for the GPU, with Infinity Fabric the communication between the GPU and CCX module.

However, what limits will DDR4 bandwidth put on the GPU? Will people continue the mistake of getting a single 1x8GB module for budget gaming builds and get worse performance than they OTHERWISE could have?

alextheblue

Distinguished
The new models they're referring to may actually be Ryzen Refresh CPUs, and not a Ryzen APU. Anyway yes the APUs will be limited to 4C/8T (for the near future, anyway).

DDR4 will be somewhat limiting for the higher-end models with lots of shaders... BUT on the desktop you'll have the option to run faster modules, in many cases substantially faster than mobile RR. Of course some OEMs (and the occasional noob builder) will build single-channel configs, but that's nothing new and in most cases pretty easy to resolve.

theobituary

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Don't think it said anything about upcoming cpu's but, recently updated my bios on my ND I x370 sli plus and it mentioned " Update AGESA Code 1.0.0.6b"... prolly not for new cpu's since it was 9.22

DragonAsta

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
very unlikely to be "new" models, just a refresh of what we currently have that is instead of 14nm will be 12nm so maybe a few hundred Mhz more, or a slight reduction in power use idle/load/average, maybe default higher clock speeds and improved CoolNQuiet for those who overclock but want to retain the lower idle clock/voltage.

I wish they did this with graphics cards as well, would be very awesome to retain lowest clock/voltages not burn power pump heat for nothing..No reason why a gpu needs to run is memory at max clocks for anything but high load, they need to have more "steps" for the clock speeds i.e P1-5 type thing instead of only P0-P2, idle load, light load, mid load, performance load, extreme load or something along these lines.

anyways, I doubt they will be bringing completely new models out with just the nm change to accommodate a "refresh" might be why they have put some of the current Ryzen chips on sale cause they are planning on "bumping" some of them up in clock speed..example would be 1500x should be a few hundred mhz more than 1400, 1600x same, 1700 same, so maybe they are refreshing specific models in current Ryzen lineup to make more "range" so can justify the price differences a bit more clearly

IMO the "limit" of ~4-4.2Ghz is not a terrible thing as they still have LOTS of cores and great performance overall, if they could get them closer to 4.5Ghz would be excellent as long as power use and temperatures did not go through roof in the process, fact is Ryzen at 3.8-4.2Ghz is giving the same performance in nearly all cases as competing Intel models running 300-600Mhz more clock speed AND they give you more cores/more pci-e lanes and proper solder being used instead of cheaping out on paper thin dies and PASTE lol.

I wish Toms website page did not bounce around the page when viewing things for a few minutes each time, is like the graphics card is ramping up and down a few times throwing things off or something :D

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

What makes you think it's more likely this is for Ryzen refresh rather than Raven Ridge?
I wish they did this with graphics cards as well, would be very awesome to retain lowest clock/voltages not burn power pump heat for nothing..No reason why a gpu needs to run is memory at max clocks for anything but high load, they need to have more "steps" for the clock speeds i.e P1-5 type thing instead of only P0-P2, idle load, light load, mid load, performance load, extreme load or something along these lines.
Everything you said here is already available for graphics cards (or for newer AMD cards at the very least). My RX 580 has at least 5 P-states (can't remember exactly), and memory clocks drop down during idle.

Sounds like Pinnacle Ridge at 12nm with AMD's uplift in performance. Guess that means higher clocks. Least its best guess without major changes to AGESA for VEGA. ASUS must already have working B450 and X470 boards with time to update their 300 series. Seems reasonable with many giving a February ~ Easter launch window. MY guess is a staggered Pyzen 7, 5, and 3 with about month between each. I put Pyzen because it could be Ryzen 7 2000 or Pinnacle 7 2000 but now I really like Pyzen 7 2000.

all stalked out

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
As mentioned this isn't exactly news, I'd guess that it's for the APU's due, But a refresh would be a good idea as Coffeelake's put AMD on the back foot again.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

Not that the APUs will be bad. A 4C/8T APU, even without accounting for the architecture improvements in the move from Excavator to Zen, is a big move (all of the older APUs, even Bristol Ridge, are all 2C/4T models). And with the improved Vega integrated graphics, you're talking about APUs that could provide actual 'decent' performance for laptops or even some desktop models -- I'm talking about "fast enough" & "good enough" performance for the average desktop user with enough graphics performance for light/casual gaming (or even decent gaming on older games).

I was pretty sure the OCing cap came from the process more than the CPU as the 14nm LPP they use was never meant for high end CPUs running at higher clock speeds.

berezini

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
Throw away your intel chips, go AMD! NSA is secretly clusterfooking every single machine running the firmware into a mega super computer that runs undetected to crack your passwords or anything they want at no cost to them.

I believe the upcoming Q1/Q2 2018 Ryzen processors are simply die-shrinks optimized to raise the frequency to be more competitive (10%+ gain?).

That's ZEN+.

ZEN2 in 2019 (ish) would be the architectural tweak. So this is similar to the past Intel "tick-tock" plan with die-shrink of same architecture, then architecture change.

Uh...?
First of all, I believe the NSA still needs physical access to a machine (i.e. USB port) to access the computers. And "every single machine" ? Just no. No.

Perhaps some issues to be concerned about, but let's not put our tin foil hats on just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.