Asus Outs ROG Rampage IV Black Edition X79 Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Wow now that is a sexy looking board! I don't need/use that many ram slots nor PCI-E slots so it would be cool if they murdered out other boards as well. I'm going to be buying a VI Hero soon and man would that look awesome in full black.

lp231

Splendid

It's not entirely black because that power button is still red. :p
For the gold scheme, Asus did that before with their P5Q, those heatsinks that look like the Sydney Opera House. Well it's more of a yellow/copper than gold, but the color scheme looks similar to one another.

Pummel

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Why would you need more than 10 iternal SATA ports? With 500MB read/write SSDs you're already at a bottleneck when using more than 3.

The combined through put of all internal SATA ports is always at around 1.3GB

lp231

Splendid

what does the bandwidth have anything to do with the number of internal sata ports?
10 is not enough. that sb heatsink is a waste of space. need to remove that and fill that whole space with sata ports. Moar Sata ports!

mapesdhs

Distinguished
lp231 writes;
> Hmm... $500 for a single socket board or spend $30 more and go with
> a dual socket? Asus Z9PE D8-WS

That's amusing, I just finished speccing out a build for someone based
on that very board. :D 2x XEON E5-2687W v2, 128GB RAM, Titan,
three K20s, etc.

Have to say, nothing about the announcement really conveys what it
adds over existing boards that's worth the extra cost. People yabber
on so much about audio, but in reality I seriously doubt it makes that
much difference. Is it better than the P9X79E-WS? I think not; the WS
has better slot allocation/flexibility.

Ian.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

It wouldn't be so bad, but so few of them are Intel-driven. Marvell
ports are awful. Not sure about Asmedia.

Btw, don't you have a backup device for your C-drive? I split
my gaming PC setup: 120GB SSD for C-drive, 2nd SSD for
game data, 1TB SATA for general data & backup images.

Ian.

lp231

Splendid

That Z9PA-D8 WS is very similar to Z9PA-D8, but with SLI, CrossFire support along with features found on the consumer side of things like SSD caching, USB Biosflash back, and a onboard diag codes.
Comparing both of them, each CPU only gets 1 set of quad channel setup (only 4 ram slots vs 8 slots on other boards), both have USB 3 and audio, the Z9PA-D8 uses a MIO audio card, that card looks similar to the ones supplied by Asus on their old ROG boards, just without the shield. This may look like a PCIe x1 audio card, but it won't work unless the PCIe slot is MIO compatible. Both have a total of 14 internal SATA connectors, where the Z9PE-D8 WS uses only SATA, the Z9PA-D8 only has 6 SATA and the rest are SATA/SAS, but they don't work unless a Asus PIKE controller card is installed into that special PIKE slot.
The Z9PA-D8 cost a lot less, but you do loose the ability to run SLI or CrossFire.
Z9PE-D8 WS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131817
Z9PA-D8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131886
Asus MIO audio card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816110091

There is also a Z9PE-D16/2L, each CPU gets 2 sets of quad channel setup (8 ram slots per CPU), All physical PCIe x16 slots, There is no new features like USB 3 and the I/O is bare.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131861

S Brideau

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Hope it has more quality than their shitty ROG laptops. I already have to replace my 2 year old ROG laptop from having so many problems with it. Now it needs a motherboard and a graphics card change (the graphics card in the g53sw-a1 isn't soldered to the motherboard). I'd rather get a new laptop that's not ROG, lowest motherboard price I could find even on ebay was $350.

Sucks you had a mobo issue with a ROG but I can tell you from working in a repair shop, I got less ROG or Asus laptops than I did anything else. They have much better quality.

And of course the GPU is not soldered on the motherboard. It's a MxM GPU. No gaming laptop has a soldered GPU.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
lp231 writes:
> That Z9PA-D8 WS is very similar to Z9PA-D8, ...

Yup, it was the WS version I was looking at.

> The Z9PA-D8 cost a lot less, but you do loose the ability to
> run SLI or CrossFire.

Thankfully in my case the application was After Effects, so this
doesn't matter.

> There is also a Z9PE-D16/2L, each CPU gets 2 sets of quad

The extra RAM capacity is good, but alas the PCIe config is not
appropriate for AE.

Ian.

Heavyliy overpriced.
It will basicly have the same performance as a 120 dollar motherboard (perhaps a 10% increse at most), and it costs really a lot.
The Supreme FX board is not bad, however, it is onboard audio, meaning that any decent amp will pick off the ground loop and any motherboard related noise, and it for sure is not a "Hi-Fi" soundcard.

I wouldnt even call it Mid-Fi to be frank. Normally those are just soundcards with a colored signature to make it ound more alive (mostly more bass).

Now if you want 4 way SLI or corssifre, i can see the appeal of this mobo, but in any other case, its just throwing money away...

But hey, thats just how i see it.

lp231

Splendid
If they remove that bundle game, that board will probably cost $440 dollars.
It would have been better if there was a heatpipe going into the SB, just like the RIVE.
The X79 Deluxe even has it, why not this?

S Brideau

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

Definitely getting another Asus for my next laptop. Just not a ROG. Had too much trouble with mine and I've seen lots of people with ROG laptop trouble (usually the power button that stops working).

lp231

Splendid

Really like their ICECool technology, after long period of use, the plam rest is still cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts