ASUS P5A w/ AMD K6-2 550

G

I am building a system for my son, and I am having a problem. When I install Win98se I get a RUNDLL error after putting in the serial number. At first I thought it was the memory so I bought a Micron 128MB PC100 stick. The same thing happens. Could I have a bad processor?

G

Yep... I have seen that same error caused by a faulty processor. Are you OCing it? If so, back off and try again.

<font color=green> slice-N-dice </font color=green>
Nothing travels faster than the speed of pain

G

The find the reason can be very difficult but first try to check the integrity of the w98se install cd. Sometimes dirty cd drives and disks can cause not only read errors but even lock ups. If it does not work then check the cooling of the cpu, or replace it with an other one (do not buy just borrow one from a friend). After that try to set back the pio mode of the ide drive.

ps.: do not forget that 550MHz k6 cpu's are at the very end of the 0.25um technology so you may have to change the multiplier to 5, or 4.5.

G

I wasn't overclocking it (Don't do that any more, been burnt too many times), but I did change the multiplier from 5.5 to 5, and now it seems to be much more stable. Maybe I just got a bad one! I guess my son will have to live with 500Mhz for now.

Thanks to all.

Aurum

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I feel your pain. I had the same problem with my K6-2 500 and a ASUS P5A. It locked up while installing win98. I tried everything, ie diff. win98 install disks, RAM, HD. The problem turns our to be a incompatibility between some P5As and high clock multi. I just underclocked to 450 MHz and the problem went away. I could never get the k6-2 500 to run at the listed MHz rating.

Solution: Try an Atlon, underclock to 450, or resort to Intel's chips.

G

Disable any cache settings in the bios (e.g. external and internal cache) also, Anti Virus setting in the bios and use normal memory setting. It might slow down the install, but you get a clean install, after just turn everything back on!!!!!! It worked for me!!!!!!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
make sure you have the latest bios, the 550 is as another had said the last of the k6-2 line and probably was not supported when you board was manufactored. Doing the install at 500 then upping back up to 550 afterwards may also be an option.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!