Asus P5b Deluxe\wifi & Xeon x3360

I'm curious if anyone has gotten the Xeon x3360 to work with the p5b deluxe motherboard?

I already looked if it has cpu support and it does not. I don't care if it has support i just want to know if anyone has bought one and got it working. The motherboard is already out of warranty anyway so it doesn't make any difference on the support list.

If it works i would rather have a xeon processor as i leave my computer on 24/7/365.

Thanks ahead of time and looking forward to your responses.

moose64

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006

If you motherboard supports the q9550 then it should work.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

http://support.asus.com/repair/repair.aspx?no=201&SLanguage=en-us
"All ASUS motherboard purchased after November 1st, 1999 will carry 3 year limited warranty services. ASUS product warranty is based on the serial number printed.

Note: Warranty void for user removing serial number sticker on the motherboard . "

I actually got 2 x P4P800-E repaired late last year, motherboard serial number was just over 3 years and they fixed em and sent em back.

Here's a thread on the Asus forum that you should give a read:

[Problem]BIOS 1226 - Q9550 not fully supported ?

In a nutshell, 1226 beta BIOS will boot the Q9xxx (and I assume the X33xx Xeons) but if the CPU has a .5 multiplier (8.5 etc.) the board will boot using a lower multiplier (8 for example). For Q9xxx chips that do not have a .5 multiplier, BIOS 1226 works just fine with the exception of the BIOS reporting an 'unknown CPU installed'.

If you contact Asus support, however, they will send you an unreleased BIOS 1230 that fixes the problem.

Do post back here if your X3360 works on this board. I've been toying with the idea of throwing an X3350 in mine.

Well i was looking for information about the x3360 not so much the 9550. I suppose I could have seeing how they're both the same.

So basically it's rounding down. Sound's like a bug and a relatively easy fix. I won't be surprised if the new BIOS isn't released within the next couple weeks.

well it looks like the x3360 has a 8.5x multiplier. We'll see what happens heh. Worst case i'll have to buy a new motherboard. best case it'll be easy getting asus's BIOS update. I wonder if anyone has put it up on a ftp site yet?

Ok i got the Xeon X3360 installed. It's working. I have no multiplier issue. It sees it as a Xeon 2.84ghz. Only problem is every time i boot up it says "unknown cpu please update BIOS". which is annoying because you gotta hit F1 to continue booting.

Ok Temps using STOCK heatsink and fan.
IDLE: 36-39C

I'm actually considering just sticking with the stock cooling instead of using that beast i bought.

Eh maybe not. I'll post temps with the after market heatsink.

I've already heard great success on this BIOS actually.

OK! great news!!! the heatsink and fan I bought dropped the temps even more!! I'm looking at temps between 28-30! I don't even have the fan up all the way. It comes with a fan control and I have it set to 50% fan speed.

Fan RPM is about 1900RPMS. The Intel stock fan was about 2600RPM I think. It's quieter and it dropped the temps by 9-11 degrees Celsius. This is well worth it. Newegg has it on sale currently btw.

I did run into the multiplier problem after i booted up with the new heatsink. All I had to do was type it in again "8.5" , save it, reboot, and it showed the proper speed.

I got these temps from the hardware monitor (in the BIOS) using BIOS version 1226.