ASUS P5B No Video ***Help***

goaliegomez

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
So, i decided I would give thanks today for getting my new rig put together... And now, I have nothing to be thankful for. =(

I purchased an ASUS P5B Motherboard, 2GB (4x512mb) CORSAIR XMS2 RAM, Intel Core Duo E6300 Processor, ATI Radeon X1900 XTX 512 MB PCI-E Card, Antec Matrix 480w PSU.

I use the same case I have had before, build the PC, get all the connectors up, and press the power button (Read: All Excited) and NOTHING!!!!

I get the system power on, Video Card fan going, HDD spinning, but nothing on the display @ all. I have a PCI-E Graphics card & it is not showing anything on screen, DVI connection.

Has anyone had this problem in the past at all? Going through this now? I have been on ASUS messageboards & all it tells me to do is boot with only the ram, CPU, and Video Card... But, that is where I started @, and I got nothing.

Any / All help would be great. Thanks all for reading & HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

~ Gomez

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Absolutely nothing? Does the monitor power on, but go into power-saving mode? Is it plugged into the correct output from the video card? Do you know for sure the monitor works (like, it's from your old rig, or you can test it on another source)?

jimbo99

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
Try with one stick of ram. Try with a different video card. Try it in the 2nd pci-e slot if it has one. If it has a way to set it to sli ensure it is not if you only have one video card.

goaliegomez

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I found another messageboard & the person instructed to run only 1 Stick of Ram, and the CPU at first. Then reboot & put in the PCI-E Graphics card.

I did that....nothing still.

I have a Gateway FPD2185w Monitor that runs DVI/DVI-D. This monitor was connected to my old rig until about 3 hours ago, and is working fine. As was the video card & the ram.

I get nothing on the screen, and it tells me no signal. This motherboard is not an SLI enabled board, and I have checked to make sure I can boot from a PCI-E Card, and it seems to have no trouble according to ASUS.

I am only thinking of removing my e6300 & putting back in my old 820D processor to see if that changes anything. I am pretty much at a loss otherwise. If it still doesnt boot, I would like to think that it is the board, and if not, then it would be the processor. I still have my old intel 945 board, so I could re-do my system back to before hand until I can get some more research...

*sigh*

******UPDATE******

Swapped out the Asus motherboard, and installed the intel 965 board that came with my set. All was well, installed my Vista RC1, downloaded patches, updated drivers, rebooted.

Installed my 2nd gb of ram, and BAM!!!! Dead PC. =( Now, I cant get it to turn back on, all I get white cursor up in the top left hand corner, with our without a HDD attached to the motherboard. Attempts to reset the bios have failed... Looks like I am reverting back to my orginal build after such a odd turn of events.

TTFN & thanks for all the help.

Yaz1

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat. Put together my first system using Asus P5B-E, Value Select memory (2 1GB sticks), core2 duo E6300, 7600GT video by XFX and had same results. I got a single beep on the power test and nothing else . Tried single sticks alternately in B1 and A1 slots --nothing. Disconnected all HDD and other peripherals gear..nothing. I called ASUS support and they suggested the same plus resetting the CMOS --nothing.

Now I'm sending back the Corsair Memory, and ordered two new Kingston sticks that are on Asus official vendor list. Corsair said its memory would work with this board, but Asus doesn't list it and I'm tired of trying.

Let me know what you get to work. Maybe it's my setup.

specba

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Have you connected power to the card through the six pin power connector?

I have the same combination and the Media Center causes the system to crash repeatedly. ATI seems to have a product that is not ready for prime-time here.

specba

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I have nearly the identical configuration. Try hitting a few keys on your keyboard. Mine stops booting until I do that.

Mine crashes after I load media center. Repeatedly.

Spent hours on the phone with ATI and Asus. Tried an new MOBO. Still have the problem. Seems to be an ATI issue.

Yaz1

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
I received my new Kingston memory sticks and after everything I had tried before had failed, now everything works --or at least almost everything--I have some issues with the WinXP/Media Center installation not enabling utilities such as disk manager.

But the important thing is that the same configuration on this board--after tryng the Corsair value memory, one at a time or two together, in all combinations of memory slots, after resetting CMOS, after double-triple checking all power connections and disabling all HDD/DVD drives--NOW IT ALL WORKS with the new Kingston memory.

What's kinda funny is that Asus Support came back to my tech request and said it wouldn't verify any memory vendor's sticks are compatible with its boards--to contact the memory vendor. Of course, Corsair said the sticks I bought were compatible with the ASUS P5B-E boards--and apparently they're not, or at least mine weren't. So I got the Kingston value memory listed on the ASUS qual vendor list (not sure if ASUS supports its own QV list?).

The only other issue I had, outside of the OS issue above, is that the board would not recognize my second stick of memory when I put it in the A2 slot (the first was in the A1 slot--on this MB, both are color-coded yellow). The system did recognize the second stick when put in the B1 slot. Maybe it's just me, but the ASUS documentation on this seems a bit obscure.

HTH.