Asus P5K Bios issue. Am I Sc#$%?

sontan

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Ok so here is my issue.
I got a new chip. The intel QX9750. its pretty much the same as the QX9650.

When i popped it in, i got a message in bootup saying i need to update my bios to take full advantage of this chip.

The cpu booted up to windows just fine and i went into the Asus bios updater to update my bios.

It stated updating then about 3/4 of the way though it gave an error saying it could not finish the process. After this i assume my bios got wipped. I could not open the updater anymore but most windows functions worked.

Then i tried rebooting the pc.....
Now it will not boot at all. All it does is turn on for about 2 seconds then turn off. It just keeps repeating this process over and over. nothing ever shows up on the monitor or anything.

Am i screwed? The board is 1 year old. Can i RMA it?

Also, i already tried unplugging the pc overnight and taking out the MB battery. Didnt work.

Thanks a bunch

On some asus boards, the motherboard cd comes with the "crashfree bios recovery program". I've never used it; you will have to search asus website for instructions or read your manual. I don't have any more suggestions. You can request an rma if the board still won't post; just say the board won't post for the reason. You may or may not still be covered under warranty; depends on the board model.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
The P35 chipset may not be able to boot a 9750? Hard to say honestly, but Id try a few things first.

Id put a slower/older Core2 in that is supported by the mobo and try booting. If that doesnt work, call Asus for a solution but your board may be FUBAR.

If the older CPU works, and you can get it post, you need to do a manual BIOS update via a floppy, bootable CD, or USB drive. Once youve done that, power down, and see if it will post with 9750. If it posts, you will most likely need to reinstall Windows. If you need to backup stuff from that HD, you can probably get it either via Safemode /w networking support or by putting HD in another machine and pulling files.

Best of luck. If that doesnt work Id look long and hard at a decent p45 board like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128369 You have one of the fastest C2 Quads ever made, why gimp it?

sontan

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008

Thanks for the advise. The p35 does work with the new chip. it was working just fine before i decided to update the bios. I went back and installed the old chip but no luck. same issue with both chips. I will try and rma it. I just dont want to go without a PC for X many weeks till i get my board back