ASUS P5K-E compatibility with 8Gigs of RAM?

wart thumbed

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
Hello! I recently ordered a ASUS P5K-E motherboard from newegg.com (link to item here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131225) along with 8 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM from Crucial.

However, one of the customer reviews on the 2nd page by Maui Tech Guru pointed out that the motherboard could not handle 8gigs of RAM regardless of it's specifications saying it can. Searches on the product have resulted in a few people saying that the motherboard has trouble booting up and other problems when it is supplied with 8gigs of memory. My question is, have any of you experienced this particular problem with the motherboard? (I plan on getting a 64 bit OS)

When I receive the motherboard this coming week I plan on testing it out and seeing if the RAM will work, if it has problems are there any motherboards you would recommend? I plan on the GA-P35-DSR4 from Gigabyte as a backup if I end up having to return the ASUS.

Any suggestions/advice on what I should do is really appreciated.

Thanks for the read!

wart thumbed

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008

Hmm yea I heard that from another forum as well. I'm guessing that would increase the wattage my system would need? Would that in anyway affect the stability of my computer?

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Na, a .2 or .3v on your ram wont make alot more heat. If you run that much you have to overvolt it to be stable. Try manufacture specs 1st then increase it in .1 increments and dont go over 2.3v.

wart thumbed

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008

Ah okay, I'm going to definitely give the motherboard a try, if it wont boot on factory settings I'll try increasing the voltage (I'm guessing I do this through the BIOS?). If worst comes to worst I'll have to return some parts, either the RAM or the motherboard. Thanks for everyone's help.

seaborn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
It is my understanding that Windows Xp only supports 4gb Max. I have not looked into Vista much due to the horror stories I have heard from basic users. Does Vista support 8 Gb? I think its 64bit so it should.

Mondoman

Splendid
Both 32-bit Win XP and 32-bit Vista suffer from the 4GB limit (in practice the limit is about 3-3.5GB, depending on installed hardware). Both 64-bit Win XP and 64-bit Vista do not suffer from this problem, but on a MB with a chipset that can only address 8GB of RAM, they have a similar limit at 8GB (in practice, that limit is about 7-7.5GB, depending on installed hardware).

Torque-Wrench2000

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Hi I think you will find the QVL specifies a very limited amount of vendors of 2gb compatible Nanya (famous for its chips, some high class ram have Nanya IC's) Kingston and A-Data. But none the less it as far as I know run up at all using 800mhz Cl6 ram but will run up on 8gb of 667mhz ram. I have 4gb 667 CL5 Patriot ram and its fine I also added another 2gb of kingston and it was fine so it was ok at 6gb I think it will be at 8gb. If you do plant 2gb sticks of 800mhz ram you will get no POST boot bleeps. As if no VGA was detected, but I can assure readers I have tried an tested many combination on my 2 P5K's and I solved it was the ram. 1gb sticks of 800mhz dimms are fine but not 2gb sticks of 800mhz only 667mhz.

Like wise I think theres a patch for Vista 32 to read above 3.55gb of ram as I had seen it at 5gb when i first constructed this P5K But that is uncomfirmed.