Asus P5K P35 Chipset boot problem!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitinyari

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I'm having the same problem, although I have a solution, but it's a bit odd...

When I turn on the computer the fans start up etc, but the screen does not come on and the HDD light is solid, as above. If I wiggle the graphics card slightly at the back though it will start up without any problems. This is by no means a permanent fix and I think I might just need to get a different mobo...

My specs are below

Spitinyari

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz Quad CPU
Asus P5K-E WiFi/AP Mobo
Asus Radeon 3870 512MB GPU
Corsair Dominator 2x2GB RAM
Corsair TX 650W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB HDD

ChemHazMat

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Hi All,

Exactly the same problem here. I built a brand new system last weekend based on:

P5K Premium WiFi motherboard (BIOS flashed to 7002)
Q6600 2.4 Ghz CPU
Radeon HD4870 GPU
8GB OCZ Gold PC6400 DDR
850W PSU
2 x 500GB Western Digital HD

Have you all checked your keyboards? Are they connected via USB? Here's my story.

On first power up all the mechanical components started but there was only a black screen with no warning sounds. I checked all internal components, removing them all, one by one but still the problem persisted. Finally I was left with a barebone system. The last thing I had to check was the USB keyboard and USB mouse. I unplugged the keyboard and was amazed that my system booted to BIOS. I swapped the USB keyboard for a standard keyboard with PS2 connection and the system booted to BIOS. Swapped back the USB keyboard and system failed to boot again ... ergo, the USB keyboard was causing a conflict.

Back into BIOS I played with the USB settings and finally after disabling the USB 2.0 CONTROLLER the system would boot with the USB keyboard plugged in. I have tried turning off QUICK BOOT but it makes no difference - with the USB 2.0 CONTROLLER enabled and the USB keyboard plugged in the system will not boot to BIOS. With the USB 2.0 CONTROLLER disabled the system boots without issue however all USB ports are LOW SPEED which is less than ideal.

My keyboard is a Ideazon Zboard Merc Stealth Illuminated Gaming Keyboard - I have asked Ideazon and Asus for Tech Support but I'm not holding my breath!

Spitinyari

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I AM using a USB keyboard, it's wireless as well, so I will test that when I get home. I have no PS/2 keyboard to try though, which is a bit annoying, but I'll try disabling USB 2.0. hopefully there's a way round that as backing up to external drives on USB 1 is not going to be fun... :(

Liingon

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Hi all
P5K-E/Wifi / Q6600 / Corsair 6400 / GTX280 / PS2 mouse and keyboard

I joined just to tell you that i have the exact same problem..turn off psu for ten seconds before turning PC on..or else no video..tried all bioses supporting my cpu, changing memorys, graphic card ..and every setting combination i dared..and none fixed that little problem..

Another issue is that i can run 4 "memtest" at the same time like forever or 4 "super pi" 32M without getting errors.. and play "UT3" for hours at 3.5Ghz...but i cant run Crysis pass getting out of that airplane in the beginning..nomatter what voltage i use.. or setting, beyond the default @2.4Ghz

My sollution is getting another mobo..a non ASUS-one :D just orderd an
"XFX nForce 780i SLI" ..hope that will do the trick

Cya all another day

PipoDC

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Hello there,

(P5K, E6750, 4GB DDR2-800, ASUS EN8800GTS 320, 2 x SAMSUNG 320 GB, SAMSUNG 640 GB, SATA DVD-ROM)

Got the same problem as many. Since I've recently upgraded from 2 to 4 GB DDR2 800MHz RAM (from 2 to 4 full banks) and added a third hard-drive (all 4 red SATA ports now full) my computer won't POST from a cold boot. The fans start spinning (even louder as normal) but no POST at all, screen stays blank (no signal). Then after the next restart the motherboard shouts that overclocking has failed and after a quick press on F2 it's all fine, up and running like always.

But I must say it's quite irritating to not be able to start from a cold boot.

Tried to take the last upgrades out to see if this was the source of problems, but no luck with that.

Anybody else some tips?

ChemHazMat

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Hi,

Further to my last post (quoted below) I can tell you that Ideazon confirmed there is a known conflict between the STEALTH ILLUMINATED GAMING KEYBOARD and the P5K PREMIUM WIFI. Apparently the issue is caused because the keyboard features 2 x USB ports and therefore acts as a USB hub. Though I have not been able to confirm this, logic dictates that ANY device incorporating USB hub functionality will conflict with the motherboard. Try removing any such device and you might at least get into the BIOS.

Conversely, this is the only problem I've had with my build. I have 2 x SATA Western Digital 500 GB Hard Drives configured to run in IDE mode but only installed the second disk after Vista 64 was installed. Furthermore my 8 Gigs of RAM has been recognised from the moment I first booted the machine (and got into BIOS).

ASUS needs to release a new BIOS to fix this issue but I have not seen any evidence to even suggest they acknowledge a problem exists, let alone that they need to resolve it!

----------------

PipoDC

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
To my information and knowledge, SATA has no need for master/slave settings since each drive needs to be connected to one port on the motherboard. The BIOS and OS do the rest.

Correct me if I'm wrong people... I'm no expert.

And for me my setup worked perfectly with already 2 SATA HD's and a SATA DVD-ROM... so putting in a third (and similar brand and type) harddisk should not be the cause of the problems I'm having.

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Exactly the same issues on a P5K-VM board. I've struggled with this issue and it's completely turned me against ASUS boards now. If I turn my machine off then there is a 50/50 chance it will boot. More often than not the unit hangs with all fans running and no video. Resetting the bios appears to be the only solution

I see a BIOS 1001 listed for the P5K-VM on the ASUS website, but no download available. I wonder if anyone know if that has helped fix the issue.

Totally frustrating.

GTOTURBO

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I have the same issues on asus p5k vanilla Q6600 with G0 stepping overclocked to 3.2 no problems for 8 months until August 2008. Now I have to turn the power off completely before turning the computer on or it won't post. The newest firmware is no help either P5K-1201.ROM. I am never purchasing an ASUS motherboard ever again, this is the second bad experience I had (P4P800-e deluxe board had problems with antec psu, had to buy a new psu).

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I pulled the latest 1001 BIOS for the P5K-VM from the ASUS ftp site. But it does not appear to help at all. I've tried enabling and disabling about every feature in the BIOS with no success.

I do see an improvement if I push my CPU voltages up in the BIOS, perhaps the horrendous Vdroop on this board causes the system to not boot correctly. I will try the system a few times and see if this deliberate "overvolting" cures the problem.

Terrible Issue... next time I will buy from a different manufacturer.

mickeyaaaa

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
I had similar issues - Random reboots with my Asus p5k-vm mobo.

FIXED IT BY UPPING RAM VOLTAGE TO 2.1v (MAX ALLOWED IN BIOS)

running 3 days solid, regular & heavy use, no reboot or errors at all - YIPPEE!

I was getting random reboots approx 5-10 times a day, under both win xp and later when trying out vista os (wanted to eliminate the os as problem).

I tried virtually every bios setting, flashed the bios, suspected the marvell lan hardware at first because it seemed to happen most when downloading a lot of p2p files-dead end.

I even RMA'd my first mobo (same model) for these reasons, and the replacement had the exact same issues....

my only other system that was ever really unstable was also due to a ram/power issue - when I put in a 3rd stick of ram, the system was unstable, could not power all 3, worked solid with 2 sticks of ram only....wierd.

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Well I've played with every setting in the book and I have not had success. Interestingly when the machine hangs at boot and I restart a couple of times and it finally does POST then when I go into the bios and reapply the saved bios profile it does not actually change the settings.

The bios will say the FSB is different or the multiplier has changed but once I save and reboot the machine does not use the settings. Once into windows a quick check with CPUID shows the stocks settings. Onviously there's something very wrong with the bios on this board.

I even went to the trouble of purchaing a new CMOS battery thinking that might help, but it didn't.

I think I will attempt to RMA it through ASUS.... uuuughhhhh !!!

honedbone

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I was having such great overclocks and stability that I thought it would be a great time to update my bios from the one that shipped with the board.
Leading me back to "If it isn't broke, don't mess with it until it is".
I updated to bios 1201 and I inherited all of the symptoms on this thread.
When EZ flash asked me if I wanted to backup my existing bios, I tried but my floppy (that I had to rummage to find) was giving me write errors. I decided to forgo backing up my old bios figuring what could be the harm? Doh!
My cure:
Re-flashing to 1103 didn't help. So I decided to follow the directions to mix it up a little. I unplugged the power; switched off the p/s; hit the power button;
removed the battery and reset the CMOS per instructions (move jumper to pins 2-3 for a few seconds, then placed it back on 1-2); replaced the battery; plugged it back in and re-booted.
In setup, I applied default settings and rebooted again. Right into Windows with no problems.
I am back up to 465x8(on water) and rock solid.
I am going to follow my own advice and steps before I reflash to 1201.
Will post back after a few hours of Prime95 to be sure.
bones
P5K, q6600(GO), 2x2 Corsair 6400, ps2 key,

GTOTURBO

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Ok, I finally found out the problem I was having. My system was recently restarting without reason and some system services failed to start. Running memtest86+ showed that one of my crucial ramstick was giving me errors. I removed the ram and the system is back to normal, no boot problems and no restarts. I should have done the memory test before, good thing nothing is corrupt so far.

rpws1

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Ok, I started a uestion and response, on my own profile, but i think I have a solution for all you people that are still turning your PSUs before being able to boot.

Firstly update bios. 8.02 as this seems to deal with chipset, memory etc.

Secondly disable transaction booster and change AI Overclocker to manual.

Thirdly any other AI booster or anything..just disable for now and its just a damn nuisance!

Hope his solves alot of problems....MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!! Look at date!!!

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I just plugged a Merc Stealth Illuminated into my P5K Deluxe WiFi with 0902 BIOS and the system will not boot. Unplug and I am good to go. Disabled USB 2.0 as suggested above and it works fine, boots right up. Also tried disabling Legacy USB but that has no effect. The keyboard works fine if I plug it in after boot and it also poses no boot problems on other systems so I'll just use the Stealth when I am gaming.

theArt

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Had the same power issue were PSU had to be turned off to boot. After about an hour of troubleshooting and reading the posts, was able to fix the issue.

It was related to type of RAM install, it had OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 overcloed RAM, as soon as I installed OCZ PC2-6400 Gold system started to boot normally and both soft reset and hard reset functions work fine, as well as it power up every time using the power button.

nacallik

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
I've had that problem for 6 months or so. I disabled the 1394 port and changed the IDE controller to ACHI (Something like that..) and now its all working like a charm. GL to all of you

Status
Not open for further replies.