Asus P5K P35 Chipset boot problem!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcdaddy

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
I had recently post a thread couple of days ago but i wasnt sure i get satisfying reply.So here i am asking again if anyone of you have expertised advice for me.

4 nights ago i had completely built the system for my friend.

Asus P5k P35 Mobo
2G PC5300 667ghz Geil DDR2
320 Seagate Sata Drive
2ghz Core 2 CPU
Asus EN8600GT Graphis Card
Antec Earthwatts 500 PSU

Anyway, have flashed the BIOS setup with the latest updates cause i thought it would fixed the problem but the same thing happened.

Now heres the problem:

When i hit the power switch the monitor stay blank with yellow signal and no power signal from the USB keyboard and USB mouse.
So, i have to hit reset switch to get the Windows loading and everything works fine.I suspected this may not a big issue but i find it annoying and worried by keep hitting the reset switch could damage the hard drive.

Hopefully there is a simple solution for this that i could hear from you guys and it would be greatly appreaciated.

God Bless!!

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
I don't think you will really damage the new HD as this isn't really a huge issue with modern day drives, however I can see the annoyance.
I would say try loading factory BIOS settings and see if that does anything for you... If it works, progressively change your settings again until you have what you want.

mcdaddy

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
The only thing ive changed from the bios setting was:

1.boot priority into CD drive since i didnt have any floppy in the system.
2.i disabled the asus boot logo which i probably dont need it anyway.

The rest of the settings mostly we're in "auto" so i didnt bother changing it.

Just curious,do you think the Windows(XP) has something to do with it as well?

user2012

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
I'm having boot problems that sound similar. When I press the power button it powers up, all fans are go, harddisks seem to be spinning, LEDs on the front of the case, but no signal to the monitor. Monitor works fine with other box.
So I soft reset. No difference, hard shutdown and then power up, now it starts up....
Never works on the first try, but will finally power up if I keep reseting, turning off power, reseting again etc.. Seems fairly random when it actually works. I have yet to enter the BIOS. I updated the other hardware drivers.
Any suggestions?

intel core duo E6750 2.66GHz,
Asus P5K motherboard,
Crucial Ballistix 2gb (2x1Bb),
eVGA N751 (GeForce 8600GT)256MB PCI Express,
Windows Vista Home Premium

DarylJohnPeskett

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2007
I am experiencing exactly the same symtoms as you user2012, have you had any luck resolving the issue?

I have just updated to the latest BIOS and dissabled Q-Fan Control as someone suggested it might help, too soon to say whether its fixed the problem yet.

Hope someone out there has some suggestions!

z_dori

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
i had problems with my bios resently.. so i read some stuff about it...

after the bios update... did you changed the settings to default on the first boot after the update?
if not- it probably the coz to this problems.... do so. it must be done.
also, try also clearing the CMOS.

if you did the update from Windows, the worst bios update method...
re-update it or reflash it completly from a usb drive/cd/1.44mb

for more details go to biosman.com
it explains better than me every little detail...

update us so we can help & learn...

D.

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I have found the 0404 BIOS to be very good on the P5K Deluxe. Still, you shouldn't be having this problem with any BIOS. Reset the CMOS BIOS by
1. unplug PC from the wall, hit power switch to discharge residual elec.
2. remove the battery
3. move the clrtc jumper from pins 1&2 to 2&3, let it sit for a few seconds and then put the jumper back on pins 1&2.
4. replace the battery
5. plug the PC back into the wall, reboot, enter BIOS and set boot order.

You can try disabling Legacy USB as well. Don't use Q-Fan.

If that doesn't help, try a barebones setup as per the below guide:

This is a little guide I made up for doing a barebones setup. It is a great troubleshooting tool that all of us need to use at one time or another. If you can see any changes that will improve this guide, or the procedure, then please post them as this is a work in progress.

BAREBONES SETUP

You are going to have to do a barebones setup and test each component. This will read a lot harder than it actually is. The initial procedure takes only around 10-15 minutes. The follow on troubleshooting may take a lot longer though. Also, please do not skip steps. Do everything in order and as listed or your troubleshooting will be flawed.

Caution: Please remember that turning a PC off does not mean there is no power going through it. Modern systems maintain a trickle of power to keep the standby functions running. You either have to turn off the switch on the Power Supply Unit (PSU) itself or unplug the system from the wall. Unplugging is best. If the green LED on the mobo is lighted you have power to the board. Make sure it is out before proceeding. Also, be aware of static. Make sure you wear an ESD strap or discharge yourself on a steel part of the case before touching anything inside.

First, unplug the PC from the wall and then push the power switch for a second to discharge any "leftover" electricity and then open up the case. Disconnect all the drives (floppy, CDROM, DVD etc.)from the motherboard (mobo) and also disconnect your Hard Drive(s) from the mobo. Do not leave the hard drives connected, the system will boot into BIOS just fine with no hard drive attached. Unplug the power from all those drives you disconnected from the mobo and remember to disconnect the front panel firewire and/or USB ports. If you have a PS2 keybard and mouse, use them instead of the USB models.

Next, remove all the RAM, except for one stick, from the mobo. Some mobos are very picky about where the RAM needs to be placed so make sure the one stick of RAM is in the correct slot as per your manual. On the A8N SLI Deluxe this slot is the third one (B1) as you move away from the CPU.

If you're SLI then remove the second video card. Remember to set the SLI Selector Card to single. Unplug the EZ plug molex from the board.

Now you are stripped down to a barebones system. The PSU, the mobo itself, 1 stick of RAM, the CPU/HSF and one video card. Reset your CMOS/BIOS while the system is stripped down, unplugged and open. You do this by removing the battery and then moving the jumper near the battery around. On the A8N SLI Deluxe there is a set of three pins, with two covered by a jumper, right next to the battery. After removing the battery, you move the jumper from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3 and let it set for a few seconds, then reset the jumper back to pins 1&2 and replace the battery. BIOS will be back to default settings after doing this.

Now, check that everything is seated correctly, RAM, video card and its power plug if applicable and the 3 pin CPU HSF power plug. Check that both 4 pin (P4 Power)and 24 pin power is connected and secure. Now plug the PSU back into the wall and turn it on. The green LED on the mobo should be lighted. If the LED is lighted then turn the PC on. Hopefully she boots right back into BIOS.

If you get back into BIOS you can start troubleshooting by turning the PC off, unplugging it and reconnecting peripherals one at a time. The idea here is to connect and reboot, until something hangs your system up. This, presumably, is the bad piece of gear. Start with the optical drive and floppy drive, then the hard drive with the OS on it and finally the second video card if applicable.

If you cant get into BIOS then you know it is either the PSU, the RAM, the CPU, the mobo itself or the video card. Change out each of these until you get into BIOS. I would start at the PSU as it is usually the guilty party in a situation like this and is also easy to change in and out (you are down to just 2 plugs, now, remember). Next up would be the video card and/or RAM and if still no luck then things get hard as you now have to consider either the CPU or the mobo.

Good luck and happy hunting.
MERC

DarylJohnPeskett

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2007
Thanks for your ideas and suggestions guys.

I am currently in the throws of trying out the Barebones setup.

A couple of comments on the guide fist, no criticism, it made great sense and had to be the best way forward for me to try and isolate what was wrong, thanks again:

1) Might be worth mentioning to remove speakers, network cable etc just leaving the graphics card attached, in case any of these are causing the problem.

2) I would suggest that when you’re still not getting into BIOS with the barebone setup, as was the case for me, the next quickest thing to check is the RAM, especially if like me you have just taken out one stick of RAM, so I swapped the RAM sticks round and tried again (easier than swapping the power supply and possibly a more likely cause of the problem).

3) One thing I wasn’t sure about was when the best time to turn the machine off was, if you are running the barebone setup with no floppy, HD or Optical drive, you successfully enter bios, do you turn off before exiting bios, or let it exit BIOS and die as there is no operating system and then turn off or doesn’t it matter?

Any way back to my situation, after several attempts with the barebone setup I eventually saw my problem again, unfortunately my problem seems to be intermittent so you have to repeat everything several times before it displays the problem again or indeed whether you can be sure it has really been fixed.

This is my current situation, I have swapped the RAM sticks round in the barebone setup and have tried to power on several times, which so far, have all been successful but I am still not confident that it really is the RAM that is the issue. I suppose time will tell but is there some way of checking the memory which might speed this process up?

I have checked the case switching connections to the motherboard but this doesn’t rule out the possibility that the case switching is not at fault but probably one of the least likely causes.

Their could I suppose be something wrong with the BIOS after I flashed it but I haven’t ventured back down that path yet, is it really worth it?

A reminder for anyone reading this what my problem was so they don’t have to go trawling through the previous posts:

When I press the power button it powers up, all fans are go, as is the power on LED on the front of the case, but there is no signal to the monitor and harddisks are not spinning. Monitor and graphics card work fine with other box have and have updated to latest BIOS 0401 and reset the CMOS BIOS as part of the barebone setup.
So I soft reset. No difference, hard shutdown and then power up, now it starts up....
Never works on the first try, but will finally power up if I keep reseting, turning off power, reseting again etc. Seems fairly random when it actually works.

My System is:

Asus P5K-VM
Intel Q6600 (Zalman CNPS8700-LED)
Corsair XMS2 8500 Dominator
Enermax 500W modular ELT500AWT
Silverstone SG01S
MS Win Vista Home Premium
NO Overclock all on AUTO

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
This seems to be a theme with the P5K series - mine behaves pretty much the same - tho when everything powers up and spins and no boot, I do notice my fans kick up several notches....I thought maybe it was a power issue, but the Ultra X3 I just put in has no effect....anyone browsed ASUS forums for this issue?

espian8

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
I have had this same recurring problem with my Asus P5K Deluxe mobo. Usually a quick fix is to clear the bios back to default settings. Now I dont know what triggers the random non-video post; however when you have the chance, enter bios and change the setting: "vga post on s3 resume" (or something like that) to enabled. This should prevent no video post from occurring again in the future. It has for me. :)

MtlCdns

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
I have had the same boot problem with no post screen on my P5K m/b and just found the answer on the Asus forums.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20070918185735687&board_id=1&model=P5K&page=1&count=16

It seems that a Lan driver update offered by Microsoft Updates causes this problem. Fortunately there is a simple fix, just flip the switch to off on your PSU and leave unpluged for a while (30 minutes) and then replug &, turn the PSU switch to on and boot should work as expected. They also recommend you return the lan driver to the original.

Since this problem is so pervasive with the P5K I thought it worth posting here.

:)

skyline0511

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
Yeah I had the same exact problem with my Asus P5k. I have been doing this unplug the PSU trick for a while now and it definitely works. So that means no other BIOS upgrade can fix this black screen bootup issue? BTW, the PSU needs to be unplugged for a while until the motherboard's built-in LED goes off. Then switch the PSU power to on again.

MtlCdns

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
Update: Unfortunately, this fix did work for a couple of days, but the problem did re-occur randomly for me. It's obviously not the driver issue for me(although that was an incorrect driver), but I still use the power down fix I mentioned above when I can't boot. I think this must be a bios issue because I get a message sometimes during boot saying "overclocking failed" but I'm not overclocking. I even tried setting the memory timings & voltage manually to stock hoping that might bypass the issue of the bios automatically detecting and setting the timings, but this didn't stop the random boot/post problems.

mbx

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
I've got a p5k-vm, and I'm having the same issues. One difference though, it seems to boot fine until I unplug it. When power is restored, first startup attempt never posts, no beep, no video on boot. All fans and drives power up fine. In my case I thought it was the ram at first, the problem only seemed to occur with 4 sticks installed. When running on 3 sticks of ram it always seemed to boot fine. After shutting down (and powering off) and stuffing the last stick back in, it worked again. Though I'm getting tired of having to re-open the case all the time, sorta lame.
It is worth noting that all of these problems occurred before installation of an OS so I doubt the lan driver is causing any of this. Some other weird things happen as well, like delayed startup after pushing the on button, or random freezing while in the BIOS config. Ran memtest, all 4 sticks are fine.
Hope it's a problem a future BIOS update can fix.

Asus forum has lots of people with p5k's, experiencing similar difficulties, some think that the mobo uses a low default voltage for the RAM. In my case (2x 2gb corsair xms2 sets) it should run on 2.1V(max), now manually set in BIOS, let's see what happens. The ram is ddr2 800 but it gets seems to get borked to 667 because of chipset limitations, the chipset doesn't like low latencies.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
I have never had that problem with my system (see sig, vanilla P5K). I run the 0414 BIOS and I used the XP NIC driver from the CD. My RAM is running at 1.9v at default timings and always registers at 800Mhz like it should.

Maybe try the 0414 BIOS?

pcunite

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Well I just installed BIOS Firmware 0901 and now it won't POST at all even after doing the unplug dance. I should mention that after I updated my bios several hours later is was not on Asus site, but is now back again. Glad I could test it for them...

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Come to think of it, I did have this exact problem with a P965 board- power on, nothing on the screen, then a reset and it boots fine. While troubleshooting, I discovered that the problem was related to the JMicron IDE controller. After disabling this controller, I never had the power-on problem again. Of course, I had to get a SATA DVD Burner...

-G

pcunite

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Well I have RMA'd my board. Have another UPS overnight on it's way. Don't put BIOS 901 on the P5K-E unless you have a few to play with! Mine was rev 1.02G if that means anything... If I remeber right it came with a BIOS not listed on Asus site that was less than 806. I flashed it to 806 and that started the unplugg dance. 901 turned out the lights. Thanks Asus!

harrytuttle

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
I've had exactly the same intermittent boot problems with my Vanilla P5K since buying it a month ago. Coupled with a Q6600 G0 stepping, it has been nothing but trouble... I have given up on it and bought a Gigabyte P35-DS3P - haven't had a single issue since.
The ASUS P5K in combo with a Q6600 is a complete lemon imo.

Base BIOS was 0404; started having boot issues straight out of the box, no OC, no tweaking, default BIOS settings - took at least 10 reboots to POST. I have tried every possible Voltage setting, DRAM timing, voltage tweak, all peripherals disconnected, single RAM stick, no HDDs, diff Vid card, PSU, cleared CMOS ....updated, reupdated BIOS ...
Dutifully upgrading to BIOS 0604, then 0703, then 0801, then 0803, then 0805, has made absloutely no difference. Once 'upgraded' to the 080X BIOSes, no utility was able to downgrade my BIOS. Even with the DOS asus update tool booted off a FDD with MSDOS-6.22; the BIOS from the ASUS CD and the original bin file I saved with the EZ Utility in BIOS , even the DOS util returned a msg " Incompatible with your motherboard " -- I gave up at this point. Going up the BIOS 'upgrade chain' the problem seemed to get worse, requiring more reboots each time. This has nothing to do with ambient temperature or cold joints, as leaving the board powered in 'limbo' for up to 1/2 hour has no effect in helping it boot faster.
I have tried every BIOS in order that was published on the ASUS ftp site for the P5K, and the latest 0805's answer to this issue is to enable Intel SpeedStep by stealth and C1E and TM2 support by DEFAULT - toggling them in BIOS has NO effect, as a reboot will reset those two CPU feature settings to ENABLED automatically and regardless of whether it has been toggled to DISABLED in the BIOS.
The effect of this is to POST at the OC speed, but then when the OS boots ...C1E and SpeedStep will reduce your OC to default again.
So instead of fixing it, the solution appears to be prevent it OCing in the manner desired/specified in the BIOS. Mutton dressed up as Lamb. Utter rubbish engineering and design.

I will personally never buy nor recommend any ASUS board or product to anyone. Simply rubbish compared to similar product from ABIT and GIGABYTE, even MSI and FOXCONN.
If you own one of these disasters, my suggestion is to save yourself wasted hours , and throw it away.

topgun21

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
I had to disable the boot logo in order to get the computer to boot. I also set the dram freq manually to ddr1066. Seems like a weird solution but is working so far....

topgun21

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
yes it must be a bios problem. Hopefully ASUS will fix it. My system is still booting fine without having to reset the power supply each time after a shut down.

lightzout

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2007
Just wanted to chime in with my appreciation for the bare-bones guide and the posts about other attempts people have made to solve this problem.

Its also worth mentioning that I have a Gigabyte p35-DQ6 which had this problem then I bought a P35-DS3L which the first one RMA'd. Now the DS3L has stopped booting under the same circumstances. I have done some broad cross references and it does not seem to be a problem indigenous to ASUS contrary to HarryTutles post.

I have read many other forums with frustrated experienced system builders trying to solve this mysterious dilemma. I wish it were as simple as buying a different brand. Now both of my gaming rigs are dead and I needed some guidance on where to start over and what order to rebuild so I can be sure I know all my components aren't the issue.

I suspect the dual bios system is reseting to default values and that won't boot. But to be absolutely certain I will start over and try to be more methodical. This will be my first attempt to post outside the case so I imagine it might take a while but there are so many possible explanations I want to make sure I can't fix it before spending more money.

Wish me luck

flemin24

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Suffering from much the same issue, no POST. Brand new build with PK5 board,core 2 quad, 2 x 2 g corsair ram, Radeon HD4850 graphics.
Powers on with green LED on mobo all fans ok but no POST beeps and no VGA detected on monitor.
This was a build for my sons gaming platfrom and has turned into a lesson in frustration, tried the power on dance, CMOS reset, 1 stick of RAM only, etc nothing seems to work.
To add insult to injury the Asus idea of tech support appears to be google and forums or waiting 48hrs for a reply to e-mail!!!

Lightzout, did you have any luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.