ASUS P5N-E SLI 650i blank screen when accessing bios

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
hi all, this is my first build, everything worked fine, windows was up and running, still is, but after updating to bios 0401, when I try to enter the bios I get a blank screen...

I updated the bios through the bios using the EZ bios thing, all seemed to work fine but as mentioned when I try to access the bios on a boot I get a blank screen, but the system does boot and run...

Help plz,

Rob

SilentBob66

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
Maybe you should try to revert to the 0202 bios and then update to 0407 thru the DOS bios update. I've heard some people have had problems with the windows bios update.

Also you should clear the CMOS after updating the bios.

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I did not do it through Windows, I read about how bad that was. I used the EX bios tool thats in the bios. Man I wish I had just left it alone =/ There are a few posts about this around but no real fix.

Baltazaar

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I had the same problem when I was building a new machine.

Luckily I had made a floppy DOS boot disc which I used to revert back to the 0202 version and it worked again, freaked me out getting a blank BIOS screen tho.

Now it works fine but be warned this can be a very tempremental board to begin with if you are building a new machine. It also decided it did not like my memory which only works in the black slots, the BIOS 0401 was to solve the memory issues but I can not use it, too flaky.

Once we had Win XP installed on the HD the MB would not boot up from the HD, it was the weirdest thing and after hours of searching for the solution my friend found that you have to set the HD capacity to 'Large' in the BIOS BEFORE you format the HD, otherwise it will not find the boot sector. If that is noobie mistake I apologise, never heard of it before.

I hope that helps, loading the old BIOS from DOS was easy, use the MB manual.

Cheers,
Balt

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Clearing the CMOS worked for me, I was able to access the bios again.

With the exception of the issue in this thread nothing bad to report yet. Of couse due to a bad PSU I have only had the system up for maybe 5-8 hours. But in that timeframe I formatted a 320 GB HD, installed Windows, some other programs, updated Windows, etc. So far so good, I guess. When I get a new PSU then I will be able to truly "test" the system.

kyosuke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I've luckily had n problems with this board at all so far.
I didn't bother to update the bios though either... figuring everything loaded up wonderfully, minus having to set my ram timings myself.

P5N-E SLI
E6400 @ stock
OCZ 2gb (2x1gb) OCZ2P800R22GK - put in black slots immediately, running with no problems @ 4-4-4-15
XFX Geforce OC 7900GS
WD250KS 250gb Caviar Sata 16mb cache
ePower ZU-550w PSU (GREAT PSU, lots of connectors with turbo fan if needed)

anyway, it all worked wonderfully. Plug and play from the start.

robucf4

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I hope this PC stays trouble free once I get a new PSU. I bought this board becuase of the 1333 FSB, for future upgrades. I see gigabyte now also has a motherboard that can do 1333 FSB based on the stable 965(?) chipset for the same price =/ oh well.