Asus P5QSE/R only 1 memory slot working

PootsMaster

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
Just like the title says, my motherboard somehow only works when only the very first slot is populated. I tried changing out the ram sticks but to no avail, as if there are sticks in the other slots, the motherboard would simply not post at all (fan spins, no warning from buzzer or led code). I also changed out 3 different gpus (no change when i swapped them) and also swapped to another power supply (also no change). Any idea of what is going on? Thanks in advance!

System specs:
Asus P5QSE/R
Intel Q6600
GT 610
300gb hdd
500w generic psu

ram sticks i had tried:
random 2gb stick from Acer prebuilt i found in the trash
2x2gb Hynix sticks
2x1gb Corsair value ram sticks

Solution
i think i might have solved the problem!

i had managed to "force" the motherboard to recognize and boot with the other ram sticks by mismatching memory sticks (differing brand of ram) to kind of "wake" the ram slots up, allowing it to see the new ram sticks and booting with it.

As of now, the pc in question has been running Memtest+86for a while now with no errors.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
dead slot most likely. or something is off with it and is causing a short when there is voltage being run through it (ie. a ram stick is populating it) making it a useless slot regardless. but don't take my word for it, this is just an initial guess. wait for others to chime in.

PootsMaster

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016

the board was working perfectly before with 3 of 4 slots being occupied, but after i dismantled its previous pc and rebuilt it the problems started. If it were a dead slot i think i would have realized earlier, but still its a possiblility

PootsMaster

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
i think i might be making progress!

since i had nothing else to do, i decided it was a good idea to stuff 2 ram sticks of different specs and brands into the same channel and for some odd reason the motherboard recognized both! not only that but both ram sticks worked flawlessly, as though they were a perfect pair. how interesting.

it continue experimenting and see what else works

PootsMaster

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
i think i might have solved the problem!

i had managed to "force" the motherboard to recognize and boot with the other ram sticks by mismatching memory sticks (differing brand of ram) to kind of "wake" the ram slots up, allowing it to see the new ram sticks and booting with it.

As of now, the pc in question has been running Memtest+86for a while now with no errors.

Solution