Asus P5W DH + blue screen... please, I need help!

JamesRod

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hello people,

A few days ago I was asking your advice before buying my new machine. I bought it but I'm having the biggest headache!

Here's the full configuration:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
GeForce 7900GT
1GB DDR2 667 Corsair (x2)
HD 250GB
Power supply 660W

I don't really know what's going on... just a few minutes after I happily installed Windows XP SP2 I noticed the machine was kinda crashing. I rebooted it and then it happened: I got that god damn blue screen of death (it reboots again right after the blue screen show up - I don't even have time to read what it says).

Anyone here had a similar problem? Firstly I thought it could be low power supply, or the lack of a good cooler but I'm not sure anymore. I was looking for some info on the internet and I found a thread about the P5W DH that says:

Blue Screen Of Death when installing Win XP SP2 - Disable 1394 (Firewire) and Jmicron controller from within BIOS.

Please guys, I really need help to at least understand the problem... :(

Thank you all!
Cheers, James.

JamesRod

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hey endyen, thanks for the reply, man.

It starts loading Windows but it gives me the blue screen and reboots right after the Windows' load bar's complete. I tried with another hard disk but the problem is the same (so I guess it should be a hardware issue, right?). Yes, it's a fresh OS.

Cheers, James.

JamesRod

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
It seems that the P5W DH has a bios problem with the E6600 duo core processor indeed. I've downloaded the file P5WDH801.ROM (P5W DH Deluxe BIOS 0801) from asus website (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5W DH Deluxe).

I'm not a technician so I'm kinda afraid to do anything wrong and screw it all. Can someone tell me if this file is all I need? If it is, how can I update my bios without a floppy disk? (don't have one here). A tut or an advice of any kind would be a hell of a help.

Really hope this is all I need to do to solve this problem...

Well, thanks again, guys.
Cheers, James.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
It seems that the P5W DH has a bios problem with the E6600 duo core processor indeed. I've downloaded the file P5WDH801.ROM from asus website (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5W DH Deluxe).

I'm not a technician so I'm kinda afraid to do anything wrong and screw it all. Can someone tell me if this file is all I need? If it is, how can I update my bios without a floppy disk? (don't have one here). A tut or an advice of any kind would be a hell of a help.

Really hope this is all I need to do to solve this problem...

Well, thanks again, guys.
Cheers, James.

Dont use the 801. Its very old

Use the 1707 located here

asus P5WDH Deluxe BIOS 1707

The file is all you need.
Do you have a USB stick?
If so:
1) unzip the BIOS file to get the .ROM
2) take the ROM and load it to the USB stick. Put the USB stick into any available USB port on the mobo
3) boot the comp, and go into the BIOS
4) use the BIOS EZFlash option
5) look for the ROM file in EZflash....and flash it!

JamesRod

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Alright, almost ready to go... still have a few questions though.

After updating the BIOS, is my motherboard gonna be 100% stable? I mean, is this THE good way to solve this problem? Should I just update the BIOS system or it'd be better to replace the chip? I could also change the motherboard I think (could get a P5B or even an Intel 975XBX2)... just bought it, so it's still on guarantee.

Don't you hate when stuff like that happens to you and you end up with a brand new machine laid on a corner for the whole weekend? Damn...

Cheers, James.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Alright, almost ready to go... still have a few questions though.

After updating the BIOS, is my motherboard gonna be 100% stable? I mean, is this THE good way to solve this problem? Should I just update the BIOS system or it'd be better to replace the chip? I could also change the motherboard I think (could get a P5B or even an Intel 975XBX2)... just bought it, so it's still on guarantee.

Don't you hate when stuff like that happens to you and you end up with a brand new machine laid on a corner for the whole weekend? Damn...

Cheers, James.

Well, first, the problem was with the earlier P5WDHs, that is revsions released prior to the realead of C2D, so Im kind off suprised you having probs on a new board. Do you know which revision you have?

As for the BIOS, the majority of 775 boards were designed for P4 and needed updating. I wont say you shaould always update your BIOS to the latest available...If your systems isnt broke, why fool with it? But if you are having problems (as you are) in this situation, (prior to the OS boot completion) its a good bet its either the BIOS or a driver. In the case of the P5WDH it could also be the Jmicron controller or the wireless LAN.

If the BIOS update doesnt solve the problem, The next recomendation would be to disable the wireless LAN, then the Jmicron.