Sep 30, 2006
Hi,

I have a really strange problem with my pc- its a

E6600
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
ATI X1950XTX
1 gig Corsair XMS2
Atrix 650 watt

Now its a pretty much a new pc- only 2 days old! The first time I pressed the on button, it worked perfectly, booted up and windows loaded. I was pretty happy. I then turned PC off and came back after a few hours. I turned it on, and to my horror, no display came on the monitor. However the computer actually boots up, because I can hear the Windows XP loading sound from the speakers.

1) I tried to turn it on again- same thing happened.
2) I first checked the monitor and the cable connecting it up another PC. Both worked fine.
3) I then checked the graphics card, by hooking it to another PC- worked perfectly - Tested several times.
4) I then opened the PC, had a look at the motherboard to check if any cables were loose, such as power connections, etc. But everything looked perfect.

Now the only way I get the display to come up is- this is going to sound weird. I restart the computer blind. I move the mouse until I find the start menu, and then I restart the pc. And funnily enough it works the display comes up, and the pc works. I then restarted it again, and it works. However if I put it on stand by or turn it off, no display. I have even updated the bios to 1305, and that did not work.

I can’t get my head around this problem. It might be the PSU, but the pc works perfectly when the display is on.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this problem, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers

Hi,

I have a really strange problem with my pc- its a

E6600
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
ATI X1950XTX
1 gig Corsair XMS2
Atrix 650 watt

Now its a pretty much a new pc- only 2 days old! The first time I pressed the on button, it worked perfectly, booted up and windows loaded. I was pretty happy. I then turned PC off and came back after a few hours. I turned it on, and to my horror, no display came on the monitor. However the computer actually boots up, because I can hear the Windows XP loading sound from the speakers.

1) I tried to turn it on again- same thing happened.
2) I first checked the monitor and the cable connecting it up another PC. Both worked fine.
3) I then checked the graphics card, by hooking it to another PC- worked perfectly - Tested several times.
4) I then opened the PC, had a look at the motherboard to check if any cables were loose, such as power connections, etc. But everything looked perfect.

Now the only way I get the display to come up is- this is going to sound weird. I restart the computer blind. I move the mouse until I find the start menu, and then I restart the pc. And funnily enough it works the display comes up, and the pc works. I then restarted it again, and it works. However if I put it on stand by or turn it off, no display. I have even updated the bios to 1305, and that did not work.

I can’t get my head around this problem. It might be the PSU, but the pc works perfectly when the display is on.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this problem, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers

Sounds like your monitor settings may be the probblem. Try getting to the desktop like you described and reset the refresh rate to 60 hertz. Right click on desktop>properties>settings>advanced>monitor=60 hertz. Then open Catalyst Control Center, if you are using ATI driver, and go through the settings and use 60 hertz when prompted.

Download and install the latest 6.9 ATI drivers here:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=293

shadowmaster

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Put it to 60hz, did not make a difference. However when i switch it on, wait and then press the reset button, the display comes back on. Tried it with my Philips 26inch LCD, does the exact same thing.

Its beginning to seem like a motherboard issue.

shadowmaster

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
The power supply is brand new, as is the whole PC . I was hoping this problem was small and that I could sort it out easily.

It is possible that the PSU might be the problem. I'll chech it by replacing the graphics card with a 7800GTX I have, and see if the display comes. If that does not work, then I think I'll get a refund.

Anyway thanks a lot for your help

shadowmaster

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Hi,

Tried the 7800GTX, works perfectly. The display comes every time. So I now think it could be either the graphics card or the PSU.

+12v DC1 14amps

+12v DC2 15amps

shadowmaster

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Thanks for your post. After reading your guide, my undestanding of PSU's has increases (it was not much before)!

I think you are right about the PSU, however I have returned my PC. It will be interesting what they say is wrong with the PC.

Cheers

Seattle_chris

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I got the same mobo with a E6600, my old X800 video card, a ToughPower 650 PSU, SB ZS2, and pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) for memory.

Excact same problem. I found posts all over the place about this problem, and it's a 50/50 tossup in opinions whether it's Memory or PSU. I've swapped out both. It's neither. I'm rather thinking it's a "Feature" gone awry in the mobo. Something to do with recovery after power loss.

I just let my system boot windows fully (with no display of course) and then I hit the power button and wait for it to hibernate. Upon coming out of Hibernation it's works like a champ. Every time.

So, assuming that all my hardware is good, does anyone have any suggestions about a bios setting that could cause this?

I haven't tried updating the bios yet. I"m on 1301 and everything is working fine so I don't wanna risk breaking it. :) I have a feeling this is whats going to fix it though.

Shadowmaster: Do you know what BIOS you had running?

shadowmaster

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
I had 1305. Try updating the bios, it might work. I orginally thought it was the bios, so I updated it, nothing changed. Before I sent the computer off, the display completely did not come, even when I did the restart or hibernation method. It was really weird, but since it is covered I just sent it back.

nmwo

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I've just had a similar problem
P5WDH + E6600 + MSI 7900GT graphics + 2GB Corsair RAM + 250GB x2 WD HDD RAID 0 configuration + NeoHE 500W PSU

Worked fine for 3 weeks, then all of a sudden no graphics output. Nothing on either DVI output, nothing with VGA adapter leads. PC was still booting up and going into Windows though. I could shut it down by pressing the right key sequence on the keyboard ("tab" - "enter" - "u" from XP login screen). PSU output seemed healthy (and I tried another output just in case). Tried the other PCI-E slot, but still nothing.

Sent the graphics card back and got a replacement today (7950GT rather than 7900GT). Plugged it in, exact same problem, still no video out. I hope they don't test the one I sent back ;-)

So I unplugged all the USB stuff, put back a PS2 keyboard. Tried rebooting again, still nothing. I was getting worried that it was the mobo that was broken.

Then I found that Asus has updated the BIOS a couple of times recently (I had 0701), so I put the new BIOS (1407) on a memory stick and booted up with that connected in the hope that the BIOS recovery process would pick up the new BIOS and fix the problem. At that point, the graphics output came back. Joy! The strange thing was, the BIOS wasn't updated.

Having got something to look at, I checked all the BIOS settings to see if something was corrupted. Nope - it all looks fine.

So it's still a mystery.
But I think I'll do the BIOS update tomorrow anyway.

shadowmaster

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Hi,

I'm beginning to think its the motherboard thats causing the problem. However in the end I became so annoyed, I just returned the PC and got a refund.

Hopefully a bios update should work for you. If not then your motherboard may be faulty.

Good luck,

GadgetGal

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Just wanted to say I read all the way into this thread. got to it by google, and changed out the power supply from a 300W to 350W and a customers problem with a "BLACK" monitor is now gone.