Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003
First of all, my computer:

Mobo: Asus P5WD2 Premium
Memory: 2x1 GB DDR2 667
CPU: Intel Pentium D805
GPU: Asus EN7900GT 256 MB
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 160GB SATA
PSU: Antec Neo HE 430W (sufficient before, with more components)
DVD-RAM: LG (can't remember exact model, quite new, 16x DVD burning)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Big Water 735

Problem:

I was first able to start the computer normally. There was an error about the CPU Fan, because there is no fan connected in that spot (watercooling). I disabled it from BIOS so the error wouldn't show. I was able to start the Win XP Pro (SP2) installation. It formatted the HDD and copied the files to it. Then it rebooted, to start the actual installation of Windows. At this point, the screen stayed blank and there was a series of beeps: one long, three shorts. When googling for help, I found a page with AMI Bios beep codes. According to it, this code means a Memory failure. The sticks of memory are new, and worked before. I have moved all the parts to another case, and everything worked just fine in the old case

What I've tried:

- Checking everything is in place
- Using one stick of RAM instead of two, and changing between slots

I can not think of anything else to try, all the parts are as good as brand new (except for HDD and DVD-drive). The thing that puzzles me is why did it boot normally at first, and start the Windows installation. I would be very grateful for any help.

-John

Remy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Been racking my brain on this one and can't come up with much. Just thinking outloud here, first you have to get the comp to complete the POST, so you can rule out anything other than hardware at this point, if the comp will infact not post. Second, the post thinks its the ram but everything works fine in a different case which puts an extremely weird twist to this problem. I had some kingston hyperx once that wasn't supported by my mb and as a result it did not supply the ram with enough voltage by default settings. The comp did crazy stuff until I set it to specs according to kingston, so you might try voltage to ram in bios. That is just my first thought. However, back to working in a diff case, I would make a list of whats diff between the two cases, and rule those potentials out. This doesn't sound like a ground out to the mb, but you could always check for a misplaced standoff or something of that nature. I don't know why power would be an issue here but if you had something drawing more amps of a single lead than the psu was rated for that could cause a problem. Just for thought, you might try the asus ez-plug just incase you think power is not adequate. And last thing I can think of would be to make a bios flash bootdisk and reflash. One time I had new board start reporting errors and "checksum bad" even after correcting bios settings, and my final solution was to reflash and it solved it. That lead me to believe that a bios flash can get screwy when your taking your comp apart. I don't see what windows would have recognized on your mb that would cause a post failure, but you could try to disable every feature on you mb(IE1344, game port, sound, network,...etc) and see if one of those could be a cluprit(grasping for straws with that one) Doubt any of this will help but I know from painful experience that a fresh perspective is worth a million when your troubleshooting. Maybe someone will know whats up, but until then I'd still be after the voltage setting on the ram and making sure the mb had full power(ez-plug maybe) and see what the heck the diff between two cases are. You have a case of what I like to call the "little green men" inside my comp...hey its just as stupid as an unsolvable problem and explains just as much. If that doesn't work then build a fire, sacrifice a cow, and throw your comp in the middle of it and pray your brain fry won't become permanent. Good Luck, btw you have a reply in the asus forum, but I don't see what timings would have to do with it unless you lowered them before you tried to install windows.

First of all, my computer:

Mobo: Asus P5WD2 Premium
Memory: 2x1 GB DDR2 667
CPU: Intel Pentium D805
GPU: Asus EN7900GT 256 MB
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 160GB SATA
PSU: Antec Neo HE 430W (sufficient before, with more components)
DVD-RAM: LG (can't remember exact model, quite new, 16x DVD burning)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Big Water 735

Problem:

I was first able to start the computer normally. There was an error about the CPU Fan, because there is no fan connected in that spot (watercooling). I disabled it from BIOS so the error wouldn't show. I was able to start the Win XP Pro (SP2) installation. It formatted the HDD and copied the files to it. Then it rebooted, to start the actual installation of Windows. At this point, the screen stayed blank and there was a series of beeps: one long, three shorts. When googling for help, I found a page with AMI Bios beep codes. According to it, this code means a Memory failure. The sticks of memory are new, and worked before. I have moved all the parts to another case, and everything worked just fine in the old case

What I've tried:

- Checking everything is in place
- Using one stick of RAM instead of two, and changing between slots

I can not think of anything else to try, all the parts are as good as brand new (except for HDD and DVD-drive). The thing that puzzles me is why did it boot normally at first, and start the Windows installation. I would be very grateful for any help.

-John

>>HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 160GB SATA <<

I have this same HD connected to a 1.5 sata controller. Loaded windows ok, but after install and after post the screen goes blank for longer than usual before loading into the desktop. I thought I may need to set the pin on HD to a different setting, but it does boot into windows...eventually and runs fine from there. You may try loading windows onto a different HD and see if it fixes your poblem. No more Samsung HD for me. Hope this helps.

yrt1md

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Was looking for AMI BIOS beep codes. Fond some at.
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

Decided to verify beep codes for memory failure and for Video card failure.

Did two tests with my good PC just removing those two parts one by one. The PC is on ASUS P5K motherboard with AMI BIOS.

Test 1: Fully operational PC. Remove all memory planks. Power on. Result: 1 long 2 short beeps, time and again.

Test 2: Fully operational PC. Remove Video Card. Power on. Result: 1 long 3 short beeps, just once.

Conclusion: The beep codes at http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm are mixed up! Be aware!

DBX01

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I just had to pull my motherboard out to put a backplate on for a new liquid cooling unit. When I put it back together I got the 1 long and 3 short beep code. I reseated the memory, and that didn't help. However, on closer inspection, it turns out that I forgot to plug the power cables back into my video card.
:sarcastic:

So, yeah, it looks like it's a video code, not a memory code.

I realize that the original post is very old, but this thread is at the top of the Google search result for that beep code.

mpkropp

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
I agree with 1 short and 3 long being video card related. Working on an Asus A8N SLI and all the sudden would not boot, no beeps what so ever. Took out parts one at a time until video and memory still on board, tried 2 sticks (instead of 4), nothing, removed first video card, set into single, bingo, working. Exchanged other video card to test, finally got a 1 long and 3 shorts, no video, no boot, problem solved.

Though video card is old, (9800 GT, being almost 2011 now) BFX honors their stuff for a long time (or I should say used to, been a while) especially if you register it right away, so RMA here I come.

Hope it helps somebody and always talk to the tech guys because with anything that breaks, explain what you did and listen to what they ask, just say "did it already" and generally they can set up a fix better than just customer support. If it's past warranty, you lost your receipt, never admit that it is past, and just be firm, they should stand behind their stuff anyway and the customer is always right, right? Oh and at worst you pick up shipping one way for a fix or at best they send you a new one in a pre paid return box, for exchange.

Just remember, always register your good parts, HD, MB, Video, Memory, PSU, well everything, just do it.

mpkropp

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Oh I see BFG is out of Business, so much for registering product, lol on me. Oh and I realized that when it actually beeped, it had no power plugged in, then when I did, it stopped beeping again but still no video, just to clarify.

Max_Fix

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
I've had the same issue for awhile now. Mine usedf to have the same cpu fan error problem, but there was no reason for it. I just disabled that. Still have 1 long 3 short and no video on every start up. I just wait for the beep and the power to go to the mouse and ctrl/alt/del to restart and all works fine. Used to use soft boot too. Just need to wait for like ten seconds of initial boot and restart. Not sure why and don't care anymore. How much time should be spent on an issue that my work around has been working for over 2 years. If mobo was new I'd get a different one, still like ASUS. If this is what broken is for their products. Good luck, but don't stress it is just an annoying issue.

kinkeh

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
I just started having this issue last night.

Setup was:

Striker Formula II
Core2Duo E8500
Asus ENGTX 285 (Card will not power up, fans will not turn at all when I turn it on)
9800 GX2 (This card will power up, fans turn etc.)

The PC was working, then I moved house. I was very careful with the PC but I suspect something(s) died in transport.

So, what happened to me was....

Finally got the PC to the new apartment. Set it up, turn it on and both monitors were blank, I hear one long beep and 3 short beeps. Most of the recent information I could find on google says this beep code is a Graphics card Issue, or MOBO issue.

Turning the PC on with the side panel removed, I could see the 9800GX2 cards fans were starting up and the power lights were green. The 285 seemed to be totally dead. No Lights, no fan. So I removed the 285, and just left the 9800GX in the machine. Same problem, 1 long 3 short beeps. I removed all the GFX cards, same problem (but expected, this was just to confirm it really was a GFX error code =). I tried my girlfriends spare GFX card, same problem.

So I think in my case it must be a MOBO issue and it also seems likely that my 285 died in transport too. Ill take it to a good shop I know where I can really swap the parts out and see whats working and whats not... and see what the problem is, but if anyone can think of anything else I can try before that, would be great to see the suggestions.

What I have tried:
All combinations of GFX cards in all slots.
Reseated RAM
Reset CMOS

What I want to try:
Hard reset of CMOS (take out battery etc)
Different Harddrive (doubt this wil help, but I will try anything at this point!)

Any other suggestions are most welcome, thanks!

kinkeh

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
I tried everything Iw rote above and nothing worked. Same issue, 1 long beep 3 short. tried different video cards, same problem.

Replaced the motherboard, worked like a charm. So if all else fails and you have this problem, it could be a mobo issue, not just a gfx card related one.

Atredies

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I found it was a card i plugged into the small pci slot, once I removed it it all worked fine. I think it my either be a video or a pci-e card slot problem, maybe try changing slots.

MarkBeep

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
This is the problem I had and solved (sort of) if it is any help to anyone...

I had an issue with an Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard. I had opened up the computer to add another hard drive. I got the one long beep and three short ones. I fixed it for a while by just making sure everything was nothing lose, I assumed I must have knocked the video card or something. But a week or so later I had the same problem when I moved my computer to plug a USB cable into the rear.

Taking the video card out and replacing it didn't fix it. Trying a different video card also didn't fix it. I was stumped and googled that the beeps meant it was the memory. I tried spare memory I had but this didn't fix it. I still had a feeling it was a video card issue.

Then I remembered that the motherboard had two PCI Express slots! I stuck the video card into the second PCI Express slot and hey presto! The computer booted normally.

Must just be something wrong with the primary PCI-e slot.

oggmeista

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
Still wish I knew if this video/memory or even mobo related

I am just not sure whether which BIOS the mobo uses???
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Revision 4...prob video because I had the same 1 long 3 short error on the old board ASUS M2N4-SLI and the only real component which is the same is the GTX 580 card....card has 8 pin and 6 pin connector but my Tagan 900 (U95) psu only has 6 pin PCI-E cables, however getting an 8 pin converter cable so I will find this out
Only oher thing is tha my memory is 2133mhz rated and mobo is not uncless OC...but isn't faster memory still supposed to work just at slower speed???