Question Asus P67 Sabertooth - Random power loss - is it time to upgrade?

Feb 5, 2020
Specs:

Asus P67 Sabertooth Rev 3.0
Intel Core i5 2700k Sandy Bridge
Corsair CX650M
G.Skill DDR3 2GB x 4
Samsung Evo 500GB
Samsung Evo 250GB
nVidia GTX 960 TI DDR5

I apologize ahead if this is not the in right place, but at this point I feel the signs are pointing towards a bad motherboard. The problem has persisted to this point over more than a year, and not being the best hardware guy, I feel like I've done my due diligence and it's time to bring in the experts.

Also as an aside, everything on the list apart from the motherboard/cpu was in my original self-built system from 2008 -- I've basically upgraded everything in the system at this point except those components (the i5 2700k has given me a reason to complain about performance).

So fast-forward to late 2018, and my PSU died. It was an ancient Antec 500W, which I replaced with the above. About 3 months later, I noticed the stock Intel i5 LGA115x CPU Fan E97379-001 would randomly stop spinning, resulting in overheating and power cut-off, so I replaced with another. The same thing happened to it as well. In mid 2019, I had enough and upgraded it to a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. On top of that, with a fan on either side (1 is a Noctua 120mm), there are 4 other Noctua 120mm case fans (6 total). The highest temperature in the system is seldom over 50° Celsius (~120° F), even under heavy load, so I don't feel like the components are in any danger. Everything seemed fine for 3 or 4 months...

However, for almost two months now, the system has suffered power cuts again. It doesn't seem explicitly tied to heavy loads, either. Some days I will be gaming fullscreen on monitor 1, with Chrome/Youtube on monitor too, and the system just shuts off. The next day it'll happen when I'm writing in Word, with no video going. The only course of action I have is to test my patience, by killing power to the PSU, turning it on again, and praying the system boots. What I found last night, however, is that the case fan and one of the fans on the Cooler Master --the two fans that are plugged directly into the motherboard -- will not spin. If I test them directly off of the PSU, they run fine. Whenever they refuse to spin, the system will not boot (turns on for a fraction of a second, then off, and I need to power-cycle the PSU). Sometimes I get lucky, the system starts again, and will run fine for days, and other days (like last night), I eventually gave up and went to bed after 35 minutes of power-cycling.

I'm not able to find any Windows errors that indicate anything was wrong, temperatures are fine, but it seems like my P67 Sabertooth is at end-of-life. Maybe I'm wrong, and it's the CX650, but I've seen mixed reviews on the modular CX650; the good seems to outweigh the bad, with only a couple people mentioning a problem similar to mine. If only the CPU/Chassis fan ports seem to be bad on the P67 Sabertooth, should I just consider upgrading the motherboard? If so, does anyone have suggestions for compatible LGA115x that won't break the bank?

Something else I've noticed since I started using the CX650M is that the initial boot seems "labored". As far as Windows, with an SSD, the boot times are awesome, around the 8 second mark, but the hardware boot seems... off. Under current conditions, a "normal" boot will be motherboard => all fans => ssd's => 6 second pause => graphics card. It feels like the initial power draw is too much for the PSU, but if my math is correct, the total load for my rig is only in the high 380's for wattage. There are instances also where the first 3 will boot, but the graphics card won't at all, and eventually the system just shuts itself off again.

Any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I'm writing this from work, and forgot to take pictures of the system. If needed, I can get and add them this afternoon.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Nvidia never made a Ti version of the GTX960. Can you double check on the GPU's make and model? You might want to see if your system remains stable, when breadboardd, with no discrete GPU. That would be an indication that the PSU is the culprit.

Reactions: AgriasRex
Feb 5, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Nvidia never made a Ti version of the GTX960. Can you double check on the GPU's make and model? You might want to see if your system remains stable, when breadboardd, with no discrete GPU. That would be an indication that the PSU is the culprit.

You caught me. I should've taken the extra moment to go find my old order history, and so a couple of corrections:

It's a i7 2600K processor.
Video card is the EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 960. I confused it with an older GeForce 550 TI.

However, I think that's all pretty irrelevant based on your suggestion and that, in my haste, I forgot to mention that I had already stripped down the system to test each component. Even at bare-bones -- only case fans and mobo attached to PSU -- the problem persists.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020
So, while I wait for the PSU to arrive, I decided to mess with it further. I pulled all cables out of the rig, and one by one plugged them back in... the final cable to be plugged in was the PCI 4x that runs the case fans and... voila, the machine started going again (chassis fans work again). So, I shut it off, plugged in the last cable, turned it back on, and everything is running like a top now.

The last time this solution worked, it was my DVD rom drive that wasn't drawing power that caused the system to start working again. It kind of seems like a hard reset that the system suddenly remembers how to turn on, and runs fine afterwards, no matter what is plugged in. I've seen similar issues on the forums where people reset the CMOS, should I try that instead?

TRENDING THREADS