Asus P6T (90-mib720-g0aay00z) RAM upgrade questions

flux104

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
I have an ASUS P6T part # 90-mib720-g0aay00z, X58/ICH10R chipset, motherboard. Currently have 6MB RAM installed, as three 2GB DIMMS, with three free DIMM slots (six slots total). Current DIMMS installed are OZC3P1600LV6GK, OZC Platinum Series, 7-7-7 @ 1.65v

The manual states "you may install 1GB and 2GB DIMMS" and also mentions 12 GB as the maximum. However, I've read a lot that most P6T/X58 boards will support 4GB DIMMS, to a max of 24GB. So just wondering what my options are: is this really correct, or is this an artifact of the times the manual was written and what was common then? If I must, I will try to find three additional of what I have installed to bring it to 12, but I'd like to go higher if possible.

Additionally, the manual states "due to intel spec defintion, XMP DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only". Can anyone shed light on what that means?

Thanks for any info,
Jack

Solution
I checked the Asus QVL for your board and it lists this model:

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/khx1600c9d3k3_12gx.pdf

This is a 3x4GB kit with an IC configuration of 512M x 64-bit, which is exactly the same layout as the kit you bought. I think where the Crucial compatibility tool is tripping up is on the voltage; the P6T is rated for a DIMM voltage of 1.5V while your kit runs at 1.35V. That's not an issue, as you can just overvolt the memory to 1.5V and move on with life. I'm curious though, why buy a dual-channel kit when your board is meant for triple-channel? Sure, technically you can use 2 of your existing DIMMs in tandem with the 4 you just bought for a grand total of 20GB of RAM, but performance might not be optimal and you...

voltoid27

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
The manual is incorrect, on Asus' website they list max support for 6x4GB = 24GB: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P6T/specifications/
I also looked at other TH forum posts and it looks like 8GB DIMM support is flaky, so filling all 6 slots is the way to go for 24GB capacity.

About the Intel spec thing, it essentially means that you can use a maximum of 3 slots (one per channel) if you want to overclock your RAM (past 1333MHz) or use automatic memory timings through XMP. If you don't care about overclocking, this isn't really a big deal, as you can manually set memory timings and forget about it.

flux104

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016

Thanks, very helpful. I'm currently running my RAM @ 1467 MHz, set manually. Does this mean I can fill all six slots and still set it to this same value manually? In other words, I won't be restricted to 1333MHz?

Thanks,
Jack

flux104

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016

Yes, that's right. Thanks again :)

flux104

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016

Ok, so I ordered this ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148658

But then I checked the compatibility tool thing at www.crucial.com and it says this RAM is not compatible with a P6T. Not sure I want to open the package or just return it at this point (will suffer a restock fee). Is there a chance it would work or is that thing pretty accurate? How can I be sure I'm buying compatible RAM?

Thx for any tips,
Jack

voltoid27

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
I checked the Asus QVL for your board and it lists this model:

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/khx1600c9d3k3_12gx.pdf

This is a 3x4GB kit with an IC configuration of 512M x 64-bit, which is exactly the same layout as the kit you bought. I think where the Crucial compatibility tool is tripping up is on the voltage; the P6T is rated for a DIMM voltage of 1.5V while your kit runs at 1.35V. That's not an issue, as you can just overvolt the memory to 1.5V and move on with life. I'm curious though, why buy a dual-channel kit when your board is meant for triple-channel? Sure, technically you can use 2 of your existing DIMMs in tandem with the 4 you just bought for a grand total of 20GB of RAM, but performance might not be optimal and you might have stability problems due to the mixed RAM. I guess you won't know until you try ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TL;DR: Crucial is most likely wrong.

Solution

flux104

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016

How can you tell it's dual-channel? The description says "quad channel kit" - is that how? I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. It seems like this RAM kit is not an ideal fit for my motherboard. At this point, I may just try to locate six more gigs of the exact RAM I have in there and keep the three I have. I can probably do that pretty cheaply and I think I can get by with 12GB for a while. It's been challenging finding just the right kit for my older board :p

voltoid27

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
Technically it is quad-channel, but since your system can't do quad channel it suddenly becomes dual-channel unless you leave one stick uninstalled (then it's triple channel). Something like this would be ideal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231359 G.Skill's QVL even lists the P6T as being supported, so there's that. Also, it's slightly better in terms of $/GB although the timings aren't as tight.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
My system in my sig used to run 3x 1.65v 2GB sticks when 1.65v was the only option at the time, even though 1.5v was really recommended.

When i finally got around to upgrading this ancient system with 4GB dimms, x4 packaging (For dual channel, quad systems weren't out yet) kits were available. Got the x4 1.5v Corsair kit to keep nearest bin pod for best results to use in triple channel and an extra stick for a spare. Lucky i did though because i did use the spare after all because one of the memory sticks i had in the system malfunctioned.

Maximum memory for my board is 12GB, 6x2GB or 3x4GB.

dual/triple/quad kits is just marketing, its not like they all need to be together at once to work. Long as motherboard memory specifications are met, most 4GB sticks should work. Single vs double sided memory sticks should be the only concern though, depending what your motherboard supports in 4GB capacities..

flux104

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
Thanks for the recommendation - just placed the order :) From the comments, it does look like that's a great solution for my MOBO. From all I've read, the higher latency won't make a bit of difference for gaming anyway, which is my main use-case. Cheers!

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Lol not at all. Your right, not sure where i seen 12GB from, was stuck in my head. Even the motherboard box says 24GB LOL. Anyhoo.

flux104

Honorable
Jun 1, 2016
Resolution update: the g.skill F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL arrived today and I popped it in, worked right away, no issues, BIOS and Windows recognized all 24 GB. So I can confirm this Asus P6T MB will take 24 GB even though the manually said 12 GB was the max. Thanks for all the help voltoid.

Jack