Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and 12GB RAM=Problems!(Bios and Vista only see 8GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

qianlin

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Hi,

I have a Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard. I bought two kits of Corsair TR3X6G1600C8 G. Each kit was 3x2gb RAM. I have a total of 12gb of RAM. In vista it says 8gb. The bios says 8GB. CPU-Z says i have 12gb. So i decide to call Asus support. They say the memory controller is faulty. Since the memory controller is in the CPU. He said i had to get a new cpu basically. :( Please Help!!

qianlin

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
The motherboard had a bad slot and one of the RAM was bad. I have to RMA both. Should i send the motherboard to asus or newegg. Should i send the RAM to corsair or newegg.

G

I had the same issue with my motherboard and 12gb (same mb as yourself). I rang Asus and they wanted to RMA the mb, then I saw another thread that said it doesn't like the whole 12gb being put in all at once.

It was an odd process but I actually got it working, I slowly upped the amount of ram booting each time to ensure it was detecting it. Then at 8GB + it wouldn't boot at all (beep beep), took a stick out, worked, put it back in, failed, swapped a couple of sticks round, worked, added the final stick, bingo, now detecting 12gb, memtest says everything is good. Very bizarre.

Do post back here when your done and let us know how you got on with the RMA anyway.

PS - I also had to up the DRAM Bus Voltage

qianlin

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I had the same issue with my motherboard and 12gb (same mb as yourself). I rang Asus and they wanted to RMA the mb, then I saw another thread that said it doesn't like the whole 12gb being put in all at once.

It was an odd process but I actually got it working, I slowly upped the amount of ram booting each time to ensure it was detecting it. Then at 8GB + it wouldn't boot at all (beep beep), took a stick out, worked, put it back in, failed, swapped a couple of sticks round, worked, added the final stick, bingo, now detecting 12gb, memtest says everything is good. Very bizarre.

Do post back here when your done and let us know how you got on with the RMA anyway.

PS - I also had to up the DRAM Bus Voltage
I read that somewhere on the internet. Tried it and it didnt work. Also set voltage manually. Asus told me the CPU was faulty. It wasn't. Motherboard is still RMAing.

G

Fingers crossed mate, nothing worse than RMA'ing your motherboard, a royal pain in the backside. Keep me posted! Oh another thing, I thought our motherboard didn't support all slots with 1600 RAM

"Due to Intel spec definition, XPM DIMMs and DDR-3 1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only." - that's 3 slots filled. However I've read plenty of people getting away with this fine, in case that helps.

qianlin

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I RMA it. The "new" one i got appeared to be used. Tested it and it was dead. Talked to newegg and they gave me a full refund. no restocking fee. then bought a EVGA X58 3X SLI. It's awesome. Sorry for no reply. Was really busy with school.

G

I was getting the same issue with my board but when it was cold it would show 12gb at bios and WRC7 and once on for awhile if I rebooted it would drop to 8gb at Bios and Wrc7. Went crazy trying to solve the issue did everything checked pins, reseated cpu several times, checked ram , tried different ram, messed with timings . Finally I put a memory cooler on and for crying out loud 12gb shows even after being on for several hours using 3dsmax, Mudbox and video editing. Many reboots and upping my ram to 1600 still no trouble...Not sure if its a heat issue or if the cooler is putting pressure on the dimms making for better contact. Going to try a spot fan aimed at the ram without the cooler to see whats up. By the way using a OCZ XTC2.

Dougie T

grimwarden

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009

Haveing exactly the same problem, just out of curiosity what did you set the voltage at?

exfiltrate

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I can confirm that cooling down the ram fixed the issue for me. I aimed a 120mm fan at the ram and have had no issues since. I just ordered an OCZ XTC 2 memory cooler to permanently solve this problem. If any of you have similar issues try aiming a fan at your ram.

Hope you all can solve the problem!

jonsjo

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Hi,

I had the same problem and tried everything as said above.
After some more research i found a post (don´t remember where) that said i should try to remove the CPU and then insert it again.
Reason for that is that the Intel I7 920 Cpu that i got also holds the memory-controller.
So i simply removed the cpu, inserted it again and made sure to keep it in place by pressing a finger on it while closing and locking it to the motherboard.
Voila, it worked and i haven´t had any problem since.
Hope this post can help someone else.

/Jonas

Paul Grant

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
I am about to build my system. In the Asus P6t Manual it stays that only One stick of 1600 memory can be used per channel? Is that the problem.

Can anyone else confirm.

Paul

tmh-mke

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
My P6TD V2 worked great with six sticks of Crucial Ballistix BL2566TN1608 DDR3-1600 at stock cpu speeds and really mild overclocks, at more radical overclocks though it would only recognize 8GB of the 12 installed. That was when running the memory at only1100 Mhz (550 x2)- At the rated 1600 it just blue screened all day with overclocks. Go figure! . I just pulled three of the sticks and voila no more problems, plus overclocks were much more stable. I run a 960 @ 4GHz 24/7/365 with no problems for going on 2 years now. Six gigs is still more than sufficient and I do lots of video work (using win 7 x64).

Status
Not open for further replies.