Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer P55 Motherboard Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
so asus stole "supercomputer" from asrocks "X58 SuperComputer" motherboard, and wtf is with that name, it isnt a supercomputer - a "super" computer would bring me a coffee and massage my back while i work.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I'm still not regretting getting a 1366 socket i7 rather than waiting for the 1156 socket "i7". These new chips appear to be solid, but my needs require a faster CPU. It'll be interesting to see how AMD reacts after launch.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Spelling error - page 3, paragraph 2, line 3 "as we saw in the MSI story, muxlanes"

Good to see that there's a Nvidia's NF200 PCI Express bridge chip is included. Does that mean we will be able to run two video in crossfire/SLI at 16/16 or will the board always be limited to only 8x on the second lane?

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]onlyojay[/nom]i know this will be like just a wet dream but...4870x2 x 5?[/citation]

If that were possible... it would still be stupid.

Why would you do that if you could put 5 gtx295s in there? (though that's impossible too)

[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]so asus stole "supercomputer" from asrocks "X58 SuperComputer" motherboard, and wtf is with that name, it isnt a supercomputer - a "super" computer would bring me a coffee and massage my back while i work.[/citation]
ASRock was part of ASUS.

lj7777

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
On another note, do they still make motherboards WITHOUT on-board audio?
I hate paying for something I won't use...

Seems convoluted. It would make more sense to hook up all 4 PCI-E Graphic slots to the nForce controller that way when the cards are communicating with each other the signlas are routed to the nForce controller rather than going to the CPU and then to the controller which introduces more latency. The nForce 200 could also provide 4 8x-PCIE slots for quad crossfire as many of the AMD 790FX boards already provide.

gigipuscarie

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I really dont think this motherboard deserves the name "supercomputer". I'm waiting for a real benchmark. Until then....it is just another P55 regular board.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
If it were a supercomputer it would use copper pipes (the good sh*t!) Plus I agree that any true supercomputer would bring me coffee, the paper or whatever I told it too ;)

ebattleon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Super computer to me meant something like a Cray 2 or IBM's blue gene. Massively powerful machine with hundreds of cores. To calla single CPU motherboard a supercomputer seems almost laughable.

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
could you rock two gtx 285's and two 4890's and switch back and forth between the setups depending on which architecture is better for the given game your playing?

ebattleon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
I have seen stressed board on final production video cards and in my opinion that would result in reduced board life. A electronic circuit board is made of differing materials of different characteristics and the board is under thermal stress as well as mechanical under. To have a board that is warped to begin with will only make to condition worse when loaded and cause separation of the stressed component from the board. Leading to a short service life.

So i would really look at any warped circuit board as being bad design and not idly dismiss it.

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]brisingamen[/nom]could you rock two gtx 285's and two 4890's and switch back and forth between the setups depending on which architecture is better for the given game your playing?[/citation]

Seeing as those are dual slot cards, I'd have to go with "no."

G

I take it from here on out, you won't be able to buy a cheap Intel compatible mobo with normal non-enthusiast heatsinks... Now their "mainstream" CPUs also require an enthusiast motherboard... The i5 isn't that much cheaper than the i7, I don't see why anybody would go that route...

jowunger

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
The term SUPERCOMPUTER described at wiki:

"A supercomputer is a computer that is at the frontline of current processing capacity, particularly speed of calculation."

Now I ask you how can a mainboard alone be a supercomputer?

stasdm

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Four x8 slots not as bad as it seems - will nicely support up to 4 AMD cards.

But what the heck to use ultra-slow NF200? With it these slots may be used for graphics only - any RAID controller will block the entire videosystem (or vice versa).

Absolutly stupid!

Status
Not open for further replies.