Asus P8 Z77-v, worked for 5 mo- single flash of 3 red LEDs, no post

jedithomas

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Please help! I have a recent issue with my Asus motherboard (Asus P8 Z77-v pro). Writing because all of the descriptions of issues with no beep, no post, no boot don't exactly match my symptoms. Perhaps my problem is a simple fix.

I had a friend help me build this system in July 2012 and it has worked flawlessly until last night when I got a pop-up warning after plugging in a USB card reader, that said card may be flawed, with two options: 1. "scan and fix recommended", or 2 "continue". I clicked the red kill box, and opened it thru 'my computer' then when try to copy over some files onto my local HD, the whole screen just went COMPELTELY black- no signal. I removed the card reader and tried restarting the stystem. nothing. I the did a hard-re-boot (power button for 5 seconds). Nothing.

SPECIFICALLY this is what happens when trying to power-on: three red LEDs light-up and stay on briefly (~5 seconds each), in this order: first, DRAM, then VGA, then Boot-Device. Each then go out and remain UNLIT. Green mobo LED stays on, and all fans working. No CPU beep. No post - Screen remains black. No recent moving the system, power surge issues, all connections look and feel tight. The same LED sequence happens when I hit the reset button.

Thusfar I have only opened the case and checked connections, and once hit the MEMok! button. I don't think it is the CPU or PSU. I suspect (perhaps?) it has something to do with the front USB ports, but I'm in healthcare not computer hardware, so my knowledge is limited. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.
Thomas
(Los Angeles)

jedithomas wrote :

There is a beeper, yes, but cannot say if it was specifically from this case or not (cannot remember). But, in the normal startup (before last night), there would always be the standard single quick beep at startup. The graphics are enhanced by a GeForce GTX570 1.2 GIG graphics card. I confirmed that it was properly seated with its power wires afixed. Thanks if you have any additional thoughts....! I'm virtually paralyzed without my primary tower!

The board has onboard graphics if I'm not wrong. Try uninstalling the graphics card and connect the monitor to the onboard.
If still the same, uninstall all RAMs and start the board. You should get the beeps signaling that no RAMs are installed.

jedithomas

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Is there a best-way to "uninstal the graphics card" since I have an ABSOLUTELY black monitor and cannot see any output or commands, etc. And, not sure how to connect monitor to the onboard (sorry! my hands-on knowledge is so limited) The monitor has an 18-pin male connection.

jedithomas

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

Yes - found the onbord for the monitor on the mobo, but not sure how to uninstall the graphics card with a dead screen and no post / bootup....

jedithomas

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

done. GC is out, and monitor connected to mobo onboard. symptamatology remains the same....next you mentioned .....RAM

Yes, with only one RAM stick inserted, no other USB devices connected than keyboard, start the board. Check each slot (power off, install the RAM stick, start again).
But I think you have to RMA the board and buy another card reader, as it seems it fried the board.

jedithomas

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

Ok - and when checking each RAM card (I have four 4 Gig Corsair), what will tell me if each is good or bad? Should I use each stick's current slot? Or each in the same slot? I read somewhere that on these boards people use second-from-left and diagnostic slot: therefore:
CPU...OPEN...XXX...OPEN...OPEN

Thanks for your continued replies....

jedithomas

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

RAM sticks tested and board (but not system / CPU) boots fine. What are your thoughts specifically about the sequence and briefness of the red LEDs? It seems to me it looks like a normal sequence of events as the system boots (as none of them STAY on). They are just on briefly, like 5 seconds. The green mobo LED stays on.....