[SOLVED] ASUS P8B-X Server 1155 - complete system - what do I do with it?

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
So a Windows 7 server fell into my lap. It is a giant tower with an ASUS P8B-X Server 1155 motherboard in it. It is a complete system with a CPU and 8GB of ram.

What can I do with it? I have a ton of computers in my house and garage, mostly older ones for my kids (and me and my friends) to have LAN Parties, and a few newer computers. So I am thinking about being creative, doing something with it. Maybe a website, maybe some backup storage option.

But is it too old? Will it run Windows 10? Will a Windows 7 server support Windows 10 computers?

Can it play games--even old games like Halo or Serious Sam2--or the classic NWN2--considering the type of ram and cpu that.

Anyway, I am curious what I have here to play with and learn with.

Thanks

Solution
Most games need a fairly strong graphics card and the embedded video on servers tend to be designed to driver very basic monitors with nothing fancy. I would bet only very simple games will run.

In general the function a server provides is not very useful to a home user. Most times they do things like process lots of data say like a database or maybe run a email server. You first challenge is to find something you even want or need to do. I mean I guess you could make it into a NAS but that is nothing all that special, likely the drives are small compared to modern ones and it likely does not support some of the newest technology.

Your best bet for OS is going to be linux. The window server licenses are extremely...
Most games need a fairly strong graphics card and the embedded video on servers tend to be designed to driver very basic monitors with nothing fancy. I would bet only very simple games will run.

In general the function a server provides is not very useful to a home user. Most times they do things like process lots of data say like a database or maybe run a email server. You first challenge is to find something you even want or need to do. I mean I guess you could make it into a NAS but that is nothing all that special, likely the drives are small compared to modern ones and it likely does not support some of the newest technology.

Your best bet for OS is going to be linux. The window server licenses are extremely expensive when you do not actually have a real use for the box. You may not even be able to get drivers for window 10 even if you were willing to pay.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Thanks for helping. I have a small Lab in my garage, and some of the computers are running old 775 e8400 or Q6600 CPUs with 4GB or Ram. An AM2 6000+ and an AM3 X2 240 is in the mix as well.

The ASUS P8B-X Server 1155 motherboard has an i3-(something) and 8 GB or ram. It has a PCI-e slot. If I get it going, will it outperform the systems above? What type of an OS will work on that motherboard? If I drop the using it as a server, I am guessing Windows 10 Pro will not work on it.

Thanks. This is undiscovered country for me.

you best bet is to try one of the many variants of linux. Since many serves did and still do run linux you have a good chance of getting a driver. With windows you never know without digging what is supported and what is not.

This is a try it and see if it runs better thing. There is no way to predict much since it depends on what application you are running. Since it is mostly toys to play with you have nothing to lose by seeing if linux will boot on the device.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
You are right. I need to do some more testing before I seek more help. But thanks for being here.

The owner of a restaurant supply business that gave it to me said it had Windows 7 Server installed on it, and I have two 2TB HDDs that he gave me in a box, so if one of those loads up, I have the user name and password. I have not given it much time. I plugged the hard drives in when I got it to see if it would beet up nicely, but it didn't. I have not switched hard drives, changed the boot order, or played with the bios at all. It has just been a project for later. But I am curious.