Question Asus P8H61-MX R2.0 onboard graphics issue

Jun 20, 2019
I'm having trouble with an intermittent fault on a P8H61-MX R2.0 based machine. 39/40 times it will fail at post, giving a complex beep code (4 long low, pip, one long high, three short high) to which i cannot find any explaination online (aside from the first four probably meaning a VGA issue in AMI Bios).

When it does successfully post, there is an error message of "The VGA card is not supported by UEFI driver". F2 clears this, it boots normally and is stable.

I have installed a PCIE graphics card, but cannot find a way to disable the onboard graphics in BIOS, although i have made the PCIE card the primary display under Advanced > System Agent Config > Graphics Config. All this appears to have made no difference.

Other spec:
BIOS revision 9012.
i3-3220, 4Gb RAM.
2x HDD installed, one WD, one Hitachi.

Jun 20, 2019
Hi ClarkJD,
The monitor is attached to the PCIE card through a DVI cable. I've tried it with both DVI and VGA through both cards and the result is still the same with regard to the boot hanging.

Jun 20, 2019
I don't actually have the machine in front of me at the moment, but the PSU is a generic 300W unit. The RAM is 1x4Gb Kingston (which i've tried in both slots). The two 500Gb HDDs are a WD Blue and a Hitachi Deskstar (same result of they are unplugged). The replacement graphics card is an AMD Sapphire HD 5450.

I've got a component order going through today, so i'll add a 400W branded PSU on to the list.

I don't actually have the machine in front of me at the moment, but the PSU is a generic 300W unit. The RAM is 1x4Gb Kingston (which i've tried in both slots). The two 500Gb HDDs are a WD Blue and a Hitachi Deskstar (same result of they are unplugged). The replacement graphics card is an AMD Sapphire HD 5450.

I've got a component order going through today, so i'll add a 400W branded PSU on to the list.
What does "branded" mean to you? There are some "branded" PSUs that I wouldn't trust to power a light bulb!
Just because it is a known "brand" doesn't mean that it is a good PSU.

Last edited: