Asus P8p67 Evo Died Whilst Saving OC Profile

Moonkey_238

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
Hi,

Background; PC has been running fine with no issues since building it app 15 months ago, last week upgraded i7 2600(locked) to i7 2700k. PC ran fine with new cpu @ stock speeds and overclocked, last night upped overclock from from 4.7 @1.35 vcore to 4.8ghz @ 1.37, booted to windows ran prime 95 for 10 mins temps around 70c on corsair H90.

Went back in to bios and to "tools"->"Asus OC Profile" with intention of saving settings before trying for higher overclock, now this is where I know I messed up, in the "save to" box i typed "4.8" thinking I was naming the profile, I realise now I should have selected a slot from 1-10, in any case I think it defaulted back to slot "1", dropping down to "load from" which showed "1" I believe I over typed "1" but perhaps I also typed "4.8" but I don not think so, the instant i hit enter on the keyboard the system shut down, when attempting to turn back pc turns on for a split second and then shuts down, on board power and reset buttons light and stay lit, but pressing power button again has no effect. I have to disconnect mains and press start again to see pc start up and immediately shutdown.

I have bread boarded, with 1 (of 3 diff) ram sticks in each slot & cpu cooler only, same result. I know the board has no igpu and haven't connected my gpu but figured I would know if pc is running by cpu fan running or not, which it isn't. I have also connected a case speaker but get no beeps.

I have tested PSU by jumping green wire and connecting the 4 pin of my H920 aio to a psu molex, this causes both 12v cooler fans to run, so I believe PSU is "good"

Has anyone experienced this before? I am wondering if replacing the bios chip is a good idea or will likely help?

Thanks in anticipation!

System spec's

P8p67 Evo rev 3.0
i7 2700k
bequiet pure power 10 600w psu
kingston hyperx 1333mhz x 3
Corsair H90 aio 2 x 140mm noctua NF-14A (Coolermaster G100m recently taken off)
Asus strix gtx970 - modfied with NZXT G12 & Antec H2O 920 2 x Antec 120mm fans+ strix cooler
1 x 200mm cooler master case fan, 2 x 120mm cooler master case fans - wired to case fan controller (wired to psu)
Kingston uv400 240gb
WD black 500gb
CM Storm Stryker

Moonkey_238

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
"Try resetting the CMOS by removing the battery and letting it sit for 10 minutes.
Put back the battery afterwards and see if that fixes it."

Hi,
I tried that now plus removing 24pin and 8pin cpu power and pressing the clear cmos button, still get the same result, have also tried another cpu (pentium g645), no change.

Have you tried re-flashing the BIOS with the crash free utility?

Download the BIOS(you need to unzip it and put only the ROM file on the usb drive) on a USB Drive(needs to be formatted as FAT-32 to work) and insert into a usb port. Start the computer and the utility should search for the BIOS file and automatically send you to their ez flash.

You can find the info in the manual here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_EVO/HelpDesk_Manual/

Moonkey_238

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
"Have you tried re-flashing the BIOS with the crash free utility?

Download the BIOS(you need to unzip it and put only the ROM file on the usb drive) on a USB Drive(needs to be formatted as FAT-32 to work) and insert into a usb port. Start the computer and the utility should search for the BIOS file and automatically send you to their ez flash.

You can find the info in the manual here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_EVO/HelpDesk_Ma..."

Thanks, have tried that now, still no change.

Its a bit odd, there is definitely power getting to board ongoing (led's in onboard power and reset buttons stay lit so does white led on gpu board) and cpu cooler, gpu and aio fans all getting a kick of voltage when power button pressed, as well as cpu/dram/boot drice on board Led's coming on before system shutdown.

I read on another thread somewhere the OP jumped the psu whilst connected to MB bypassing MB switch and forced power on, have tried this also, same result.

Moonkey_238

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
"The motherboard maybe a bust at this point.
I don't think changing the BIOS chip will help either."

I am fearing so too, however bios chip is under £10 to replace, replacement board £60-70, so will probably try that first even for an outside chance.

Thanks for your help though!