ASUS P8Z68-V PRO BIOS Update

fangerz

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hey guys, I have been getting a double ASUS boot screen on start up with my new P8Z68-V PRO; the ASUS screen appears and then screen goes black as if it is restarting then it appears again and boots normally. The CHA_FAN2 monitor bugs out in EZ Mode bios as well, flashing max 19640RPM every now and then before going back to its normal 1043RPM. The other two fan monitors have no problems (I don't really care about monitoring my fan speed and my fan runs fine, its just nice when everything runs as it should :D). It currently has BIOS Version 0501.

After reading around about the double boot problem, I figured I would update my mobo with the latest ASUS bios version; I'm hoping that this will fix my fan monitor problem too (I would also feel better having the latest bios version installed). I was just wondering what everyone thinks the preferred method for updating the BIOS software is? Should I download the latest version to a flash drive and update it via EZ flash 2 or use the ASUS update utility etc.?

Also, just to confirm, if I was to use the flash drive method in EZ flash 2 utility, the bios update that I should have on my drive is this one from ASUS support section right (windows 7 64 --> BIOS --> P8Z68-V PRO 0606 BIOS with IRST 10.6.0.1002)?

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8Z68-V+PRO&p=1&s=39

Any other suggestions about what might be causing my double ASUS boot screen or the weird CHA_FAN monitor to bug out (I have checked its connection and changed cables already) are welcome.

Thanks.

Gadgetz 2011

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I'm in the same boat as you - had a look on teh ASUS website and got confused over their instructions - or lack thereof...

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Download the latest non-beta BIOS from your motherboard's page on the Asus website. Open Asus AI Suite II, flash the BIOS from there (forgot which tab exactly it is, I think it's called Asus Update... you'll find it!), choosing the BIOS .ROM file you've downloaded, wait for the flash to complete. Done. No need for a flash drive.

Disable PLL overvoltage in BIOS to prevent restart on startup, if you get them. Disable all SATA controller boot messages in BIOS (you'll get them from Marvell SATA controller, etc.) in the SATA settings.

Haven't got your fan monitoring problem, but let's see what the BIOS update will do for you. Don't forget to set the settings back to your desired ones after the flash. And report your findings here :)

fangerz

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Just to let everyone know I flashed the 0606 BIOS with no change in my problems; however, I figured out that the multiple ASUS screens was due to marvel and JMB searching for devices that weren't connected, so I just disabled them in BIOS and everything boots normally now. The cpu fan issue is still there but I don't really mind. I heard it has something to do with a 3 pin fan being connected to the 4 pin connection - not bothered by it though.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I said that it's the controllers.

Disable all SATA controller boot messages in BIOS (you'll get them from Marvell SATA controller, etc.) in the SATA settings.

Newest BIOS should be the 0705.

Why is your fan 3-pin? Standard Intel HSF and all aftermarket coolers come with a 4-pin. What cooler do you have?

fangerz

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

^ Yah, thanks. /salute

0606 is the newest bios for p8z68-v pro on the asus website that I can see.

This is a case fan not a cpu fan. I use cooler master hyper 212+ - it is fine.

Kuba Kluza

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
to get rid of the double boot screen set "keep current" in boot settings (not sure what the option it is in but you will be able to figure it out ;) ). i dont know how to solve the fan problem, the fan could be broken and displaying a false reading. watch out when youre updating bios because mine went mad after the latest update and wont boot anymore :??: