[SOLVED] asus p8z77-v w/ i&-3770K

Apr 8, 2020
Hello, my computer is finally starting to slow down & im thinking about replacing my motherboard but keeping the CPU. Thoughts? Also recommendations if you have any

Solution
If you haven't done a fresh install, I would recommend that just to rule out any software related slowdowns that have piled up over the years. If you don't have an ssd, that would be the first upgrade. They are relatively cheap for a 240gb and can be re-used if you want to replace other components. Replacing a mobo adds no performance or really any benefit at all. That was the last gen for that socket so there is nothing more you can do without replacing both cpu and mobo at once. Depending on what is slow would determine what you should upgrade but you are lacking info. My 2500k rig is still fast enough for almost everything so a 3770k would have no issues besides getting into the higher end of things. Of course it's overclocked but...
If you haven't done a fresh install, I would recommend that just to rule out any software related slowdowns that have piled up over the years. If you don't have an ssd, that would be the first upgrade. They are relatively cheap for a 240gb and can be re-used if you want to replace other components. Replacing a mobo adds no performance or really any benefit at all. That was the last gen for that socket so there is nothing more you can do without replacing both cpu and mobo at once. Depending on what is slow would determine what you should upgrade but you are lacking info. My 2500k rig is still fast enough for almost everything so a 3770k would have no issues besides getting into the higher end of things. Of course it's overclocked but with that combo, I'd assume you would be too.

Solution
May 14, 2020
Hello, my computer is finally starting to slow down & im thinking about replacing my motherboard but keeping the CPU. Thoughts? Also recommendations if you have any
Hi there.

I have the same board and CPU, along with an SSD (SATA based), and it still runs brilliantly for me.
I have 16GB RAM with 2GB used as a RAMDrive, that does seem to help ("TEMP" / "TMP" environment variables point to the RAMDrive).

I'd echo the suggestion for a reinstall of Windows, it often makes everything run great again.