ASUS P9-X79 DELUXE Motherboard Won't POST After BIOS Flash

jonaplat

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
My uncle gave me his old computer 2 years ago, but he kept the processor to use in his new machine. This computer has sat on my shelf for the last 2 years, and I just bought a used i7-3930k to put in it.

I first set everything up and powered on, and the fans spun up and looked to be working fine, except that the CPU LED on the board was glowing red. I looked this up and learned that I may need a BIOS update, so I used the x79's bios flashback feature, burned the new bios to a usb drive, and pressed the flashback button. Since then, whenever I hit the power button, the fans spin up for half a second, then the whole board shuts down for 2-3 seconds, and then this process repeats itself indefinitely.

I later discovered that I used the wrong BIOS file for the flashback, and I assume that caused the problem. I found the correct file and flashed it. The flash process seemed to complete successfully, but I am still having the same problem.

So, I at least know that the board was capable of starting up earlier today, which I think means I can conclude that it's mounted properly and it's mostly functional. I don't think I've ESD'd it or anything since then. I assume this means I still have a BIOS issue, but I've even tried flashing the original factory BIOS (0906, in my case) and am having the same problem. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Solution
I ended up taking it to MicroCenter and paying $40 for a full diagnostic. They told me the motherboard was "fried," so I bought a new one. Hopefully I didn't get ripped off... Anyways, thanks for the help.

jonaplat

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016

I removed all memory and started it up. Same behavior: fans start to spin for about half a second, then shut off. About 2 seconds later, they spin again.

jonaplat

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
I ended up taking it to MicroCenter and paying $40 for a full diagnostic. They told me the motherboard was "fried," so I bought a new one. Hopefully I didn't get ripped off... Anyways, thanks for the help.

Solution