Asus P9X79 Fails With EVGA GTX570HD

SirReddSir

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I'm new to building, but have tinkered around for years. This is my first build, and I'm afraid it's not going so well at the moment.

Based on some advice I found online, I purchased equipment that I know is compatible, but when I turned it on, it cannot complete its boot. Here are my specs:

Asus P9X79 Pro (LGA 2011 / Intel X79)
Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge
16 gb G.SKILL Ripjaw Z Series (4x4gb) 240-pin DDR3
EVGA 025-PE-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) HD 256MB
1x Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM
2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM
1x Crutial M4 128GB SATA III
Corsair TX850 V 850W PSU
Corsair H60 CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Case

The problem (at the moment) appears to be between my motherboard and my video card. When booting up, I get a long beep, followed by three short beeps, which indicates no VGA. This also corresponds to the "VGA_LED" light that comes on.

I have moved the video card into different slots, flash updated the BIOS, and tried two different monitors (just because I could)... but everything comes back the same, "no VGA." I even tested the motherboard's battery power, but it came back as full.

At this point, I'm stumped and have filled out the RMA info through EVGA. But before I ship it away, I thought I'd ask for help. Any suggestions, or am I going about this correctly?

Thanks!

SirReddSir

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Now that is an interesting question, and one that I was pondering at the moment, as I was about to pack up the card.

I used the two PCI-E connectors that were directly attacked to my PSU. However, in the box from EVGA are two power cables, each with a white 3-pin Molex (m) (in the 4 pin adapter) to a 6 pin (f) PCE-I style connector. Is it possible that the PCE-I connectors from my PSU deliver the wrong amount of power? When plugged in, the fan spins... so I assumed everything was working.

Maybe I should give it a try, just to see. Hmm.

What do you think, ulysses? And thanks for the quick reply!

SirReddSir

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
SOLVED:

I got a suggestion of switching video cards from a friend of mine. While the idea of putting my new card into my old computer seemed like a non-starter, putting the old video card into the new computer could not have been easier! Plus, I didn't have to change any settings on my old computer, so there was little risk involved.

I put the old card in the new computer, booted it up, and watched as the mobo led lights cycled. I gave a full Homer Simpson, "Wa-hoo!" when the "VGA" light went off, confirming it was an issue with new the video card.

RMA-ed and sent back. Hopefully the next card will work!

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS