Question ASUS p9x79 LE no post bios will not update no run with any CD/DVD or ssd connected

Aug 16, 2021
All of a sudden while working my ASUS p9x79 LE running windows 7 64 trouble free just shut off. No warnings. Instant shut down like power loss.
Checked power, ok. Checked surge protectors, ok. Checked: all connections, ok. Began breadboarding. Removed all components and re plugged 1 ram in A1, machine starts to ASUS BIOS. Re plugged video card. Re plugged coolers, fans, usb, front panel conns, etc. still running, CPU temp normal, coolers working, All RAM show ok.
The moment I plug in any PERIPHERAL connection as in the CD/DVD or the only SSD (1) it immediately dies. Replaced the power supply with new known good from another system I just repaired. Same problem.

The CPU light on mobo was not on during this before and after breadboarding and while it was running on the bios start up screen.

I then notice the bios version is the default original ASUS, I go to ASUS and get update onto a fat32 USB, extract, place on root, it runs and fails update. Now no bios. I clear CMOS and remove battery, replace, recon cmos to 1,2. No start. I grab older BIOS the BIOS update will not run now. Now I cant even get to the BIOS set up screen. However the fans run and the light is on, no video output.

Now when I press the power button on front panel with power on the fans start and the CPU light is red, no video to monitor, no bios screen, green power light is on,
Now when I insert BIOS USB the USB Stick gives me a blue light. When I press the BIOS update button for 3 secs it starts to flash and then 1 sec later the USB stick light goes out, like it lost its 5v and the BIOS light turns solid green indicating the update failed and stops. So it will not even go into the USB update.

Any ideas what else I can do next? To restore my BIOS?
Any ideas why the mobo shuts down immediately with a known good power supply when I connect the power to the SSD or CD? I swapped the same power supply to another system and it runs. What causes the power supply to immediately shut off when it sees the SSD or CD?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
That was a lot.

If I am reading this and understanding it correctly I would say that when you were attempting the BIOS update and it failed that the result was bricking the motherboard. I do note the manual mentioning that you have dual BIOS for such situations.

Aug 16, 2021
That was a lot.

If I am reading this and understanding it correctly I would say that when you were attempting the BIOS update and it failed that the result was bricking the motherboard. I do note the manual mentioning that you have dual BIOS for such situations.

Thank you punkncat. I looked through the manual for this mobo and I do not see dual bios. I contacted ASUS who said only one bios resides at a time and if it is corrupted and the attempts do not work it is possible the motherboard needs to be reflashed at the service center.

I am interested in knowing what would cause the connection of a bad hard drive to immediately shut the system down. What is the mechanism of that process if any readers know.

I note further that last night I removed the SSD drive and put in a enclosure and it will not run, so it appears something is wrong with the SSD drive and after that failure my attempts to update the bios caused the bios to be corrupt. So it seems at this point the Corsair Force 120 SSD failed suddenly, found when breadboarding the system, then when I read that updated bios fixed other users problems I tried and it did not work properly and the bios is not unable to post the motherboard.

However if you have a more technical explanation of these problems for education I am certainly interested in the knowledge of what happened. Thank you so much for your input

Aug 16, 2021
^ My apologies, there was supposed to be a "not" in that statement about dual BIOS.

Hope you can get things resolved.
Thank you so much, it is so kind to have such helpful people on the forum.
I hope I can figure out why when connecting the ssd or dvd drives it causes the board to shut off. Its a curious issue, perhaps related to the bios, but I have no idea why it would signal the PS to turn off power to the board. Its hard to imagine both the SSD and the DVD drive have a hard short to ground? If anyone knows the cause of this behavior?

Aug 16, 2021
Hi Sajuuk88,
Asus support suggested I try a bios update - the mobo immediately bricked. Then Asus support said mail it in for service (cost to check it out $79). So I sent it in. Mind you my motherboard had never been out of its case since OEM and was working fine until the sudden issue.
Asus support checked mobo and stated "it has physical scratch scross a circuit...
I am unsure their diagnosis makes sense, as nothing ever touched the face of that motherboard and it was never out of its case since built 8 years ago so this finding seems odd. There was no mention as to why their bios updater failed and bricked my mobo, other users report bios update issues. ASUS cust svc person stated they have had a problem with bios updater causing bricked mobo.
Now that does not explain why my HDD failed and caused the mobo to not even post wich was the initial issue, the bad HDD will not even come alive in a USB, power cycle tricks, oven hack, oe other methods - I think somehow the SSD failed and it caused other issues. My PSU works fine tested on bench, nice clean power output in all voltages, good grounds, and works fine in two test systems. So it seems the SSD failed caused me to think update BIOS would bring it back, the ASUS Bios updater failed and bricked mobo, and now its possible ASUS tech either found something wrong on mobo or decided fixing bios issue was not worth it and made mistake and damaged my mobo during his inspection. BTW the mobo was shipped back in an original mobo box and bubble wrapped, so I think something is unexpected about the current status at ASUS factory support repair shop.
Now their repair shop rep "Christine" is unresponsive to a request for more deeper explanation of the facts of the techs findings and what he found with the BIOS updater issue - except she says "pay me $275 and we will send it back to you. I am not happy with their service. I build a few systems a month and I am reducing my trust in ASUS.

At this time I asked her and Asus chat to get a manager on the issue and contact me back - no one from ASUS HAS REPLIED.

Why I want this mobo fixed is because I have old industrial process software that uses a combination of hardware ID, mac, and software id's to run, and its out of business, and requires to run on win764 so I must not only get that mobo back but reinstall my backup or clone to get those systems running again. So being as ASUS has treated me not so well I will give them a couple more days or else I wills top using their products.

Sereno011

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Sounds like quite the headache. Assuming you got your board back unrepaired I'd just invest in a programmer and flash it yourself. They are pretty cheap now. Plenty of YT vids on how to use them. Hopefully the BIOS is a SOIC8 chip with the external legs you can use with a clip. Desktops aren't too bad. For laptops though I prefer to remove the chip from the board as I tend to get verification errors otherwise.