ASUS P9X79 PRO upgrade will not load windows 7

beautamus

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Just upgraded my mobo to asus p9x79 pro running windows 7 on wd 1tb hdd. I have corsair vengeance 4x4gb mem sticks and radeon hd 4850 card along with 600w psu. When i tried to boot up after install, I can get to the bios just fine but when windows trys to load i see the splash screen for a second and then the blue screen flashes for a fraction of a second and the boot process cycles again only this time it tries to repair windows but cannot. Can anyone help?

satyamdubey

Distinguished
do you still have your old mobo?
for any mobo upgrade, it is important to first set certain windows ports and drivers to generic.
An OS installation calls a hardware through referenced id in its addressing tables, migrating key hardware components as is a case with mobo swap will result in OS not being able to initialize the new hardware as it will still be calling/referencing the old one and therefore not boot at all.

you should boot up fine using your old mobo and then use it to do this: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2007/09/how-to-install-a-new-motherboard-without-reinstalling-windows/

regards
-satyam

beautamus

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Unfortunately the old mobo gave out on me, I have tried to reinstall win 7 but the "repair windows " option does not fully cycle through either. I am considering getting another SATA drive or SSD drive and performing a fresh install. the only thing with that is that i have upgrades for all windows except for win XP x32 so I need to call microsoft again to tell them i'm upgrading to 64 bit again and go through their hoops again, and I still dont kow if that will work or not. Any suggestions?