Question Asus PB287Q headphone sound out gone very quiet

Paul_1982

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
The sound out of my monitor has gone very quiet. It was fine, then it suddenly wasn't, perhaps after changing the speaker the cable was plugged into. There are two inputs to the monitor - one Roku TV stick on HDMI and the other Windows 10 desktop extension on DisplayPort - both with the same problem, so it's definitely a problem with the monitor hardware. I've tried the usual things - check volume level, reset all settings on monitor, unplug for half an hour, etc.

The sound is there, just very quiet. Last time this happened, ASUS just replaced the monitor, which solved the problem - but I would prefer a fix, please? Does anyone know any tricks?

Lutfij

Titan
If you've experienced the issue prior on the same monitor, then the issue is with the speakers built into the monitor. If you have ample time to troubleshoot the issue without stepping out of bounds of your RMA/warranty period then we can move forward. You could try and uninstall and reinstall your GPU drivers(since you've mentioned that audio comes off the DP output) but given that the issue is also stems from your Roku, you should look into RMA'ing the monitor again.

Paul_1982

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
If you've experienced the issue prior on the same monitor, then the issue is with the speakers built into the monitor. If you have ample time to troubleshoot the issue without stepping out of bounds of your RMA/warranty period then we can move forward. You could try and uninstall and reinstall your GPU drivers(since you've mentioned that audio comes off the DP output) but given that the issue is also stems from your Roku, you should look into RMA'ing the monitor again.
Hi there - thanks for the reply.

Changing my drivers wouldn't make any difference, as the exact same problem is present simultaneously on two devices attached to the monitor.

I'm not sure what you mean about the bounds of the warranty - the monitor is still within its three year period (though the current monitor is a replacement they sent me for the previous one which had the same problem).

The reason I'm keen to see if anyone knows how to fix this is simply that this is the second time it's happened in the last two months, and if it's going to happen to every monitor I have, I need to know either how to fix it or how to prevent it, as returning it to the manufacturer is a bit of a hassle each time (though ASUS are superb with this - last time, they picked up the monitor next-day whilst simultaneously dropping off the same model as replacement).