[SOLVED] Asus PC always displays the "Windows Error Recovery" screen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbiecd

Commendable
Feb 10, 2021
Hi,

I'm refurbishing an old Asus Essentio M11BB-B07 Desktop PC. I've got Linux on an HDD that I'd like to run on it.

I turned off Secure Boot. And I can boot the system off a USB stick with Puppy Linux fine.

But whenever I boot the system using the linux hard disk, it goes into the Windows Error Recovery screen.

I've tried everything I can find in the UEFI/BIOS, including the CMS options, but no luck. I tried removing the CMOS battery for several minutes but no luck there either. This computer's still convinced any HDD means I must go to Windows Error Recovery.

Any ideas? Thank you for your advice.

bobbiecd

Commendable
Feb 10, 2021
I finally figured out my problem.

Since I didn't know the UEFI/BIOS settings the first time I went into them on the Asus, I didn't set them properly for a legacy Linux boot.

So it thought my Linux disk was actually a Windows Recovery Disk.

And it actually marked it as such!

IOW, it destroyed the Linux partition, labeled it Windows Recovery, and put a bunch of Windows recovery stuff on there.

So I kept getting the Win Error Recovery screen even when I connected that disk to another computer!

At that point I figured something weird was happening. And I eventually discovered I had gotten my Linux disk overwritten by the ASUS BIOS attempt to recover Windows.

I got a new Linux disk, set the ASUS BIOS correctly this time, and linux boots fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.