[SOLVED] Asus PCE-AX3000 not working ?

Mar 8, 2022
Hello, I bought an AX3000 to install mostly for the bluetooth hoping it would be relatively painless to install. After installing the card on my Gigabyte B450M DS3H, I loaded Windows and neither the Wifi nor bluetooth were working. I also couldn't find it in device manager. I then used the included disc to install the drivers, which didn't change anything.

Because the graphics card goes over the PCIe x1 small slot, I had to install the card into the full size PCIe x4 slot at the bottom of the motherboard. I assumed this wouldn't be an issue, since I thought you could install smaller PCIe devices into the bigger ports. However the box says that it only supports PCIe x1 slots, so maybe that's the issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time installing a wireless network card. Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
I have the same card and bought it for the same purpose.

I did notice the box saying use slot 1 but yes my GPU also covers that making it impossible. I made a ticket with Asus and they want me to RMA the card because the Wi-Fi works but not the bluetooth.
Bluetooth for whatever reason runs on a USB port on these cards. You must run a cable between the card and the motherboard. There must be some reason they do not run it over the pcie slot but most function this way. If you do not run this cable or if there is some kind of defect in the cable the bluetooth will not run.
That is a strange restriction I though you could put shorter cards into the longer sockets because the order the pins go is the same with the longer slots just having more pins for more data lanes. Then again I have never really spent time to read the engineering specs on the slots so there might still be other restrictions that are not related to the physical pinout.

Mar 8, 2022
From the manufacturer's product page:

"PCE-AX3000 only supports PCI-Express x1 standard, please install the adapter in PCI-e x1 slot"

That's why it's not working. The edge-connector on that card only matches up with a PCIe x1 slot.
Yeah, I noticed that on the box after having bought it. As far as I know PCIe x1 devices are able to fit into larger PCIe slots, so why would this fail to work? Also, if this is the case, are there any wireless network cards that would work in a full-size PCIe slot?
Thanks.

Mar 8, 2022
Try reseating the cards, it should be able to go into a larger slot without issue. Perhaps your slot is set to PCIE 4.0, try setting it to PCIE 3.0 on the bios. Though if you have any PCIE 4.0 NVME drives, you'll limit it's max speed.
It's running in PCIe 3.0. I'll have a go at reseating it. Thanks!

Mar 15, 2022

I did notice the box saying use slot 1 but yes my GPU also covers that making it impossible. I made a ticket with Asus and they want me to RMA the card because the Wi-Fi works but not the bluetooth.

Bluetooth for whatever reason runs on a USB port on these cards. You must run a cable between the card and the motherboard. There must be some reason they do not run it over the pcie slot but most function this way. If you do not run this cable or if there is some kind of defect in the cable the bluetooth will not run.

Solution