Asus PCE-N53 Acting weird

BBenedetto

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
First of all let me start off with the obligatory "this is my first post even though I have browsed forever". Now that's over with lets get to it, I have a ASUS PCE-N53 wireless adapter and cant seem to get a good connection with it even though I have tried multiple fixes.

My father had a Dell Inspiron 560s (as stock as you get) which I put the card in (after having the card myself for about a year in my old computer; which is the one he has now) and it seemed to get an okay connection but after reading http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1774186/asus-pce-n53-working-slowly.html it shot up to 50+ mbps and was working great!

Well now I decided to give him my old PC since I built a new one and he wanted to dual screen some Dell 24'' monitors. So I put the ASUS card into that one for his internet. Well here is my issue, this card is getting 1-3mbps now and the internet is slower than ever. I have tried to correct the issue like I did before in the post but I cant seem to make the speed come up.

Both computers are running Windows 7 Home & premium and both are in the same location so the signal is there (from the modem) but the card is not picking it up. I have also configured my modem like so http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/35874-42-best-settings-sbg6580-docsis-modem.

Specs:
Modem: Motorola SBG6580
PC: AMD Phenom II x4 925
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
AMD Radeon 5650 HD
Corsair DDr3 2x4GB 1600MHz Patriot
*NEW* Samsung 256GB PRO SSD
*NEW* Seagate 1TB HDD
ASUS PCE-N53 Wireless adapter
*NEW* Corsair CX 750W PSU
And old HDD (320GB) from old Dell

The PC is a couple years old now but sill functions without any issue that I can tell. One thing I did notice is that when viewing available networks after installing the card it will only show one network where a laptop in the same vicinity will show my 2 neighbors signals and mine (that laptop is also getting 40+ mbps in this location).

What I am wondering is if there is something I need to change due to different hardware settings from the original guys post?
Could it be some software that is installed that is causing the issue (it is a fresh windows 7 install on the SSD).
Could the card itself, while installing it, have gone bad (I ordered another one from Frys and should be here any day that I will try)?

If anyone has any ideas some help would be much appreciated, I'm pulling my hair out about how much my dad is bothering me over this.

BBenedetto

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
I bought another card and put it in the system, same results. But I fired back up the Dell 560s right next to the other PC and its speeds were 10x the amount. I wonder if it has anything to do with mobo incompatibility or a HW issues.

If someone could help that would be great.